camo for hunting?

Steve Butters

for deer hunting - is camo really that important?

i have a nice 1 piece carhartt i was going to wear this year but its all black and im not sure if that would stick out to a deer too much, or if i should pick up some camo bibs and wear my camo jacket over it....last year was camo jacket and some brown jeans and i froze my ass off, so i need to do something different

also - does it matter much that my shotgun is black and not camo?

would i be better off using this stuff during hunting season? it clings to itself, but no residue is left behind. my gun is a pump so im not sure how much of it i could even wrap

http://www.cabelas.com/sleeves-camo-camo-form-gun-wrap-1.shtml

No. You have to wear blaze orange regardless... if gun hunting.

thats kind of what i figured, i figured the orange would throw off any benefit of the camo but i thought ide ask more experienced people

lol

Idk if you should be allowed to have a gun...

and why is that? because i asked if it makes a difference whether or not a deer notices camo or black?

pretty sure theres much worse things that can be done with a firearm, im just here trying to learn from people more experiences than i am, so please, eat shit and die

Back in the day we wore black & red Elmer Fudd jackets and jeans and we killed a shit load of deer. Deer vision not so good, you got a gun thats a fifty yard advantage on old Bambi's eyesight. Hell I've shot the little fuckers wearing a black t shirt.

lol If a deer would notice?

Seriously? Have you ever been hunting?

Blaze orange dude... I wonder if they notice every other hunter wearing BLAZE ORANGE.

last year was my first year out, not everybody was born knowing everything there is to know about hunting right out of the womb.

Back in the day we wore black & red Elmer Fudd jackets and jeans and we killed a shit load of deer. Deer vision not so good, you got a gun thats a fifty yard advantage on old Bambi's eyesight. Hell I've shot the little fuckers wearing a black t shirt.

thanks - i guess i wont worry about it then

thread can be locked i suppose - apparently it was a much more stupid question than i realized :confused:

Edited by Steve Butters

Correct, they will smell you before they see you.

Now if you were going turkey hunting, then yes, you need camo because those birds will see you.

appreciate the tip - i plan to get into a little more variety next year and hunt stuff other than rabbit/deer....ill keep this in mind

I've hunted Salt Fork with muzzle loader (not crowded ), Dillon, and Oxbow. I had to fire the person who allowed me to hunt. I've had a few offers for bow-hunting land which I'll absolutely accept, but bow-hunting takes more scouting time which I just don't have. I'll probably skip gun season again and hit the public lands with the Hawken during special season.

Tbut.... buy the rifled choke for the Nova. Great accuracy.

I disagree with all that is said about deer not seeing you!! yes they will always come in down wind especially a buck so chances are they will smell you, but i am a bow hunter and have had deer actually look up in tree's and spot me, granted i have been caught pulling the bow back once or twice two but in my OWN experiance a deer is a very smart animal and if you made noise once in a stand while that deer was close even if you didnt see him he knew you were there and will look up or check the area before coming in. I had a buck two years ago that i missed first week of the season and i had to change my stand three differant times that year because everytime he came in he would look up. finally got him in a differant spot with my climber 3 or 4th day into rut.

i saw a huge deer standing next to the road eating a tree the other day....i was in my loud truck and i stopped literally 20 feet from it....it just stood there and kept eating while it was looking directly at me ....it didnt even care

they must know its not hunting season yet....i believe they are pretty smart

Edited by Steve Butters