metric system vs us imperial system

John

Before decimalisation of money in the UK, there were twenty shillings to the pound and twelve pence to the shilling, and thus 240 pence to the pound.

A price tag could say "£4, 3 & 6" which is 4 pounds, 3 shillings and six pence. (42 pence total)

Quick, add 4,3&6 to 2,17&3. No?

Metric is a good thing.

Where do you drink that the pints are 20oz? When I was bartending ours were 16oz. I thought that was pretty much standard in the US

most places have the 16oz. pint glass. i have a bunch of pint glasses from random bars and they are almost all 16. do have a few 20s though. there are a decent amount of places that have imperial pints though too. places like old bag, claddagh etc usually have them

I love metric. Especially Newton/Meters. Despite the fact that there are about 8 different metric systems for fasteners. There are multiple Imperial systems also, but Imperial is British, Canadian, Aussie, etc. The USA uses SAE, which also has a type of metric, not just inches/feet/pounds/etc. But at least it's a firm set of standards, and not all confused.

Just being picky, and oh yeah, the US Army uses month-day-year for as long as I can remember. But the future will probably be year-month-day, because it sorts correctly on a computer.

Being an IT guy who deals with databases in many different countries with different date formats I always write dates as 20110813 (for the computer) or 2011-08-13 (human readable). If I need time too then I write 201108130918 or 2011-08-13 09:18. Alpha sorts in date order, and no fellow employee has ever had to ask for clarification on which is the month and which is the day.