Any north east people know how to fine tune carbs?

speedytriple

SO I am having a harder time getting the carbs sorted out on my dr 350 I just bought? took them out cleaned them up some checked all the jets to make sure they are clean(they are). And put it back in after cleaning the air filter. it still is messed up and is even worse then when I got the bike. How can working on a single carb be so hard? it is killing me that I am having such a hard time. so does anyone think they are pretty good with carbs? and would help a dumb ass out for getting it sorted out again? Willing to throw some monies and beer to anyone willing to help.

Rough to start even with choke on. Will start with choke and prime on the petcock though. Once started it runs for a few mins then will stall like it is starving for fuel. I pulled all the line off and checked them and cleaned the carbs. I have the stock pipe and air filter with the air fuel screw set at 2 1/4 turns out from light seat. The main jet looks to be a 135 and the primary jet is a 37.5 I am guessing these are stock jet sizes? When I got the bike it had a flat spot at 5-6k rpm. Even when warm. All I have done so far to it was clean the carbs twice and reinstall them. I also checked the needle it is stock and the slide is clean and not hanging up on that.

The jets normally are not all that is clogged. Try blasting carb cleaner into the jet housing while manually opening the slides and open choke circuit and blast it too with carb cleaner. Check vac line to petcock to make sure its actuating petcock. Prime lets gas free flow so it must fill the bowls and then get cut off somehow? Try running it off another fuel source that you know works(a funnel attached to fuel line will work) Did u clean the float needles and fuel rail out too? Also deff try to replace spark plug asap!

It sounds odd but mix 50/50 pine-sol and water in a container big enough to submerge entire carb, remove everything you can from the carb, put it all in the pine-sol and put one of those fish tank aireators in it. Leave it for a day. If you have access to an ultra-sonic cleaner they work even better, but pine-sol does miracles on crusty carbs.

I will try spraying some more carb cleaner into the housings. I should have paid better attention to where all the hoses were running when I took it apart? Fuel line is a no brainer the vent tube off the petcock runs to the little nipple on the other side of the carb thats sucking air in right? Man I hate carbs.

That's no vent tube, that's a vacuum petcock. Make sure its working and that you're getting the bowl all the way full. Also, find a diagram of the carb and make sure you have everything put back together right. If you're not sure about fuel lines, you may have missed something else.