School me on flat screen TV's

max power

I also have a 50 Plasma and actually they do fade or some do anyways...I saw this after I bought this model when I looked up the review again. I havent noticed it really cuz I guess its gradual and it seems to be only with this panasonic mode...but I love the plasma TV's and you get way more for your money.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462105-1.html?tag=rvwBody

Do you smoke in your home? That would cause your tv pic to fade. Other airborne particulates will get between the screens. And cause this also.

Used to work at a tv repair shop you would be amazed at some of the things I have seen. And big screen tv's I have brought back to life.

I also did this for a living up until about 6 months ago and if you do not have many/big windows in the room or always have shades pulled the plasma is going to be the best picture. If you have windows you want to stay with LCD or LED because they do not have glass to reflect light and will not glare. LED is going to give you the brightest picture and will be very thin so if you want the cool factor go with that because it will only hang like an inch from the wall. Also, refresh rates above 120Hz do not exist on LED or LCD so don't be fooled. Even if they did exist the human eye would not be able to tell a difference between a 120 and anything higher. 3D TVs like to market 240Hz because they actually use 2 different pictures each at 120Hz, one for each eye, so combined it will be "240". A plasma may also state it has a 600Hz refresh because it needs a number to compete with LED and LCD refresh rates but in reality plasmas do not have the same type of "refresh rate" LED or LCDs have because they use a completely different technology so don't worry about that. All plasmas have the same refresh rate.

Also, stick with your name brands like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Sharp. Samsung and Sharps are probably my favorite because I think they have the best picture and are the highest quality right now. Toshibas are junk, they used to be good which is why some of you are saying you have Toshibas that are over 5 or 10 years old but now they are garbage. Don't know how many of them I have seen come back to Best Buy because they were broke or the customer didn't like them. Samsungs are by far number 1 right now. Vizio is also a crap shoot because they use many manufacturers left over displays which they buy cheap and put in their own units. I have seen some awesome looking Vizios and have also seen some really shitty ones.

Edited by JStump

Wow, lots of replies. Thanks guys. It seems that the opinions are all over the board.

This is an edge lit LED. It has a refresh rate of 120hz.

I'm pretty sure its a last years model leftover. They are going for $1500 on Amazon.

how much is the tv you are looking at that will help me decide if its a good deal

$799

Well edge lit is what you will find in any retailer like best buy and is way cheaper than back lit. The only difference is back lit can turn off LEDs in areas that are black so it gives you dark blacks like a plasma, but, they are also usually at least twice as expensive and most people don't even notice the difference. Edge lit LEDs are actually getting really good at doing the same thing with the blacks but is not quite as good yet. Also edge is going to be much thinner because they do not have all the LEDs behind the picture.

Just got it home and set up. So far, its pretty badass. Watching the Reds right now and its super clear and crisp. May need to play with ghe settings some, but straight outta the box, its decent.

Picked up an LG Blu-ray dvd player/surround sound system also, but wont open it until I do some research.

If you value sound quality at all, return that system NOW! When you get a blueray home theater combo like that, you will get an OK picture and OK sound because you are combining 2 powerful systems into one and they just hurt each other. The subwoofer is probably powered from the blueray player and so it is basically just a big speaker and you will not get ANY base out of it, and if you do you will be sacrificing clarity for base because you are sucking power away from the speakers to power the sub. You need to get a blue ray player AND a home theater system not a combo. And when getting a home theater system you need a dedicated receiver, and an ACTIVE subwoofer, not PASSIVE. Passive is powered by the receiver, Active plugs into the wall and pulls its own power. If you want a nice system that isn't going to break the bank check out the Yamaha YHT-495BL system. It has a good sound and a nice subwoofer and is completely upgradable if you want a better system down the road. You can just buy one piece at a time until you have the system you want.

Edited by JStump

If you value sound quality at all, return that system NOW! When you get a blueray home theater combo like that, you will get an OK picture and OK sound because you are combining 2 powerful systems into one and they just hurt each other. The subwoofer is probably powered from the blueray player and so it is basically just a big speaker and you will not get ANY base out of it, and if you do you will be sacrificing clarity for base because you are sucking power away from the speakers to power the sub. You need to get a blue ray player AND a home theater system not a combo. And when getting a home theater system you need a dedicated receiver, and an ACTIVE subwoofer, not PASSIVE. Passive is powered by the receiver, Active plugs into the wall and pulls its own power. If you want a nice system that isn't going to break the bank check out the Yamaha YHT-495BL system. It has a good sound and a nice subwoofer and is completely upgradable if you want a better system down the road. You can just buy one piece at a time until you have the system you want.

OK, good points. I'll definitely take them into consideration. I havent opened it nor had time to do any research. I have 30 days to return it. I'll start looking into it tomorrow, and I'll check out the yamaha. I kinda like their stuff. ;)