My debit card got hacked. Anybody track the IP address?

RSparky

Yea, but it's not YOUR money until you pay the statement.

That's the key and pretty critical difference.

Depends on if they side with you. I had a gym membershp that expired and the gym called me to renew. I said; "no, can I cancel it please?" They said; "OK, it's cancelled".

3 mo later I notice they're still billing me. My CC company sides with them becuase the contract (that I'd signed 3 years before) states that unless cancellation is given in writing the contract goes month-to-month. I spoike with the owner and he admitted that his guy "should not have told you he could cancel the contract over the phone" and he would "train his staff better" but "a contract is contract, so you're not getting your money back."

Of course I subsequently learned that this is a common tactic that shady gyms use to squeeze another couple of months of payments out of former customers. In fact the whole gym industry exists only to scam peple out of membership dues.

I think Justin covered my point well enough.

If someone rips off your debit card, it's not your fluid cash they're messing with. If someone rips off your debit card, there goes your grocery money until you can get it taken care of. I'm not saying most people won't have access to another account somewhere...but you never know.

All I can say is, I'd rather have someone dick around with the bank's money instead of my own.

didn't I comment once on why it's a bad thing to let companies keep your credit card info on file?

yep, sure did. case and point.

I also seem to remember some of you in this very thread tell me I'm being "paranoid" about it too. keep letting places have your info and plan for this to happen to you over and over and over again. you're a moron if you do this sort of thing and deserve everything that happens to you.

Edited by serpentracer

This happened to me a couple years ago. Got a call from the bank at 4 in the morning asking if I was currently making a purchase in oregon. They canceled my card and got me my money back a couple weeks later but they did the same thing with the small purchases. There were 3 charges made all within 5 minutes of each other for things less than $10. They even sent some of the stuff to my house lol.

Credit cards get ripped off too..

But they are not directly tied to your money.

We stopped using our bank debit card for purchases/services awhile ago,

the only time it gets used is at the atm machine for deposits and withdrawls.

We use a Capital One Rewards Visa for EVERYTHING and then I simply take

the receipts at the end of the week and make a payment every Friday or Saturday

in the amount of the weeks receipts.

Bank account stays safe AND we earn rewards points. :cool:

I've also started using a GreenDot prepaid Visa for most of my online purchases

now instead of the Capital One card.

Edited by SWing'R

Sooo, seeing all the troubles, I took a look at my debit charges. Something I used to watch a lot closer. And I find two $14.95 charges per month, going back to March. Oops.

It was a pair of the credit report checking services *cough*. And initiated by another person, who probably also is scammed by a third or fourth party.

A quick phone call to those that received payment, got 100% refunded, and we'll see if it gets back to me.

I generally don't put card numbers in computers that are not absolutely clean. Nor do I use cards in restaurants. The most likely way I got taken, is a database was compromised at some place I bought stuff. So I rolled the card over and got a new one. But at least I think I'll get the money back. About $180 before I noticed. Durrrr...

edit: I have noticed that some shady (or legit) websites have fine print that say stuff like they are signing you up for future charges and such. That happens a lot, even when trying to set up auto payments on utility bills. Gotta watch it all the time. Nothing but thievery.

Edited by ReconRat

But they are not directly tied to your money.

We stopped using our bank debit card for purchases/services awhile ago' date='

the only time it gets used is at the atm machine for deposits and withdrawls.

We use a Capital One Rewards Visa for EVERYTHING and then I simply take

the receipts at the end of the week and make a payment every Friday or Saturday

in the amount of the weeks receipts.

Bank account stays safe AND we earn rewards points. :cool:

I've also started using a GreenDot prepaid Visa for most of my online purchases

now instead of the Capital One card.[/quote']

THIS

I generally don't put card numbers in computers that are not absolutely clean. Nor do I use cards in restaurants. The most likely way I got taken, is a database was compromised at some place I bought stuff. So I rolled the card over and got a new one. But at least I think I'll get the money back. About $180 before I noticed. Durrrr...

If your checking account was low on funds, you could have easily bounced a check created an NSF on one or more of your transactions. You maybe have been expecting one balance when your actual balance was almost $200 lower. Another reason to not use your debit card.

I've had my credit card number compromised about 3-4 times over the years. Every time it happened, it was due to a security breach on a merchant's database. Not my problem. I received a new card and kept it moving. None of my assets were ever in jeopardy.

I had mine swiped and ended up receiving Acai berry supplements in the mail that I, of course, didn't order. So, we had the charges reversed, and the bank tells us it happens all time, in fact they were surprised it wasn't automatically denied because the company was so notorious. They kept sending the supplements and claimed we owed them something like $100 a month for them. We got new cards. Finally, they stopped coming, but we had somebody calling all the time and leaving messages in Chinese (or something similar) for like a year. They finally gave up.