school me on surround sound

max power

I bought a new tv recently and picked up an LG Blu-Ray/surround sound combo to go with it. It has been brought to my attention that this might not be the way to go. Since I haven't opened the box yet and I have 30 days to return it, I figured I ask the opinions of the collective.

Keeping in mind my under $400 budget, what brands/features do you guys recommend and why? I also have to buy a high def dvd player in that 4 hundo budget. It has to sound good (but doesn't need to blow the doors off the place) and have small surround speakers since they have to sit on window sills.

So what do I need?

not sure what you need exactly, but idodishez on here sells this stuff for a living....im sure he could get you all set up in your budget, i talked to him about some speakers before and he seemed like a good guy to deal with and his prices sounded reasonable...really knew his stuff too, not just a mindless sales rep

At that price range I think you did good. If the budget is bumped up a tad I'd recommend trying the Ohm speaker 120 day home demo. I'd go with a pair of microwalsh talls for the front and a pair of Walls in the back, with a sub of your choice. http://www.ohmspeakers.com/

Edited by alienpi

I have klipsche, and have been very very happy with it thus far.

I've been running Klipsch for the last 25 years...and I still have a pair of Klipschorns from back then. My currently surround system is modest, but it's a Klipsch setup that is about 14 years old, and still sounds great.

Does that come with a blu-ray player?

I'd prefer a powered sub also.

You might not believe me when I say this but the Insignia home theater system at best buy is actually a rebranded Onkyo and it sounds legit! It has a powered sub and comes in at like $300 I think. That would leave you with $100 for a blue ray player. Also, buy your cables online at amazon or monoprice.com.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+570W+5.1-Ch.+Home+Theater+System/9833984.p?id=1218214391173&skuId=9833984

I've been running Klipsch for the last 25 years...and I still have a pair of Klipschorns from back then. My currently surround system is modest, but it's a Klipsch setup that is about 14 years old, and still sounds great.

I would agree with Klipsch being awesome! I have a 2.1 system for my computer and it actually sounds way better than my parents 5.1 system in their living room lol. It is basically just 2 quintet speakers and an 8" sub but it will shake the house and sound great doing it!

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have this system: http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/home-theater-systems/LG-home-theater-system-LHB336.jsp sitting in a box right now and I'm not sure its the best bang for my buck. I have just over $300 in it and about 2 weeks left to return it.

My requirements are: Blu-ray player (not necessarily integrated into the system, but purchased in the $400 budget), powered sub (this system is passive) and small surround speakers (going on window sill) that sound great.

Edited by max power

not sure what you need exactly, but idodishez on here sells this stuff for a living....im sure he could get you all set up in your budget, i talked to him about some speakers before and he seemed like a good guy to deal with and his prices sounded reasonable...really knew his stuff too, not just a mindless sales rep

Thanks Tyler.

As to the OP, for $400 to include a set of speakers, surround amp, a sub, AND a blue ray player, I think you're kind of tied to a HTIB. I personally don't see even doing that w $400, but apparently others have done so. Hell, just a Samsuck (intentional typo) blue ray alone is gonna run you $200 +\-. I havent ever sold a HTIB, (typically do mid to high end stuff, with separate components) so not up on the pricing.

I have a Klipsch Synergy in my personal system. Whatever you do, don't buy into the Bose hype. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose"

Sorry couldn't be of more help

Not really looking to do high end stuff here right now. I could go a little over 400 if need be, but not really looking to if I don't have to. Maybe the system I have is what I need but, I'm kinda scared of the all in 1 deal. If either component goes bad, I'm screwed and I'd prefer to have a powered sub. That doesn't seem to exist in the all in 1 set ups.

. Whatever you do, don't buy into the Bose hype. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose"

True...

Better

Off (with)

Something

Else

If you don't have to have surround sound, there are other ways to go on this. I would rather have a decent 2-channel setup on a budget than a cheapie home theater in a box.