Home security peeps? Suggestions, ideas...

Moto-Brian

With VIVINT they first contact you through the command panel.

So I'm up with twin Glock .40z and not fumbling with a phone. I can hear them from anywhere in the house. If they don't get a response they'll call your phone.

You don't want ADT. Talk to Shawn.

PS. I'll sell you a couple ADT signs for $50 :D' date=' seriously, I have 2 in the garage.[/quote']

Who is Shawn? I am open to whatever... I like the local idea and the current system was local originally but very old...

I just don't know what to ask and what to look for.

I like the video on the driveway idea... Definately want the garage done...

I'd also be interested in hearing what other companies do to reduce false alarms.

One feature I wish I had in my system was some kind of relay output that I could use to tell when the system was armed in "Away" mode. This would allow me to install and record cameras inside the house that would automatically activate when the alarm was set and nobody is at home. I don't want those cameras running all the time for obvious reasons, but if I could have them run only when nobody is supposed to be home then that would make it much easier to catch the bad guy.

My security system is totally interactive and protective.

Butch.jpg

+1 for Dobies; See sig! Require no training, sound off like a mothafucka, and can love you in return :)

As for ADT, I have a friend who does installs for them (I met him on my car club's forums, actually) and I'll pass along his contact info if you have questions.

I'd also be interested in hearing what other companies do to reduce false alarms.

One feature I wish I had in my system was some kind of relay output that I could use to tell when the system was armed in "Away" mode. This would allow me to install and record cameras inside the house that would automatically activate when the alarm was set and nobody is at home. I don't want those cameras running all the time for obvious reasons, but if I could have them run only when nobody is supposed to be home then that would make it much easier to catch the bad guy.

Usually you'd just use motion activated cameras.

FALSE. A delay in calling the premise only delays calling the premise' date=' it doesn't prevent a false alarm.

A phone call has nothing to do with a false alarm. If they call and you answer with the correct passcode,

all is fine, there is no false alarm. This is the whole reason for calling in the first place, to determine the

situation, to delay the call is just stupid.

And you pay them for this service?? That is the reason right there you don't want to use them!

No answer at the premise = call to police, from any other alarm company that is :rolleyes:.

What the hell is the point in calling me at work if my alarm is going off at home,

send the police to check it out then call me. That is standard operating

protocol for central station monitoring, its surprising ADT stays in business with SOP's like that.

Just curious, what are the protocols for some of you other guys out here

with central station monitoring that don't have ADT, let's see how ADT compares...

:popcorn:[/quote']

False. :lol:

Every alarm company on the planet tries the list of numbers you give them first. If you give them one number, then that's all the try. If you give them 15, then they try them all. You tell them how to handle it.

I can tell you, however, for fire alarms they call you after calling the fire department. That was awesome.

REALLY interested? I can automate just about anything. It's what I do. But it's gonna cost:)

Havent read all the posts, but to the OP, yes, better deals can be had than through ADT. They have great name recognition, like Bose, Monster cable, Kleenex etc. But definitely not the cheapest out there, and you CAN get monitoring w no contracts. If the other guys on the forum don't get you setup, I probably can (distance issue?). But from the sounds of it, that's ALL he does, so he'd probably be a better fit. Now if you wanna make the bedroom tv flip to the right input automatically for the hot tub camera, but only when the wife's gone, with the security system armed in home mode, after 10:00 pm, only

On Sunday's when it's 75 degrees or warmer outside, then I'm your guy:). Or, if you just want to be able to control every aspect of your house from

Your iPhone anywhere in the world, I'm your guy:)

DSC Panels have a PGM output that can be programmed to active with Away arming.

Also, our alarm systems call in an "Opening after Alarm" to let our central station know that it was a false alarm. If we do not get an Opening signal, then we call the location. If someone answers, they are asked for a passcode. If the wrong passcode is given, then we hang up and call up the police. Then we start calling down the call list for the account. Most of the time that is neighbors, relatives, and additional phone numbers for the owner.

I've been installing security systems since 97. We take over a lot of ADT systems each year, and unfortunately we have to replace the main control panel and keypads. Anymore they are installing totally wireless junk, and that means we have to do a complete new install.

Edited by BiggO

I was thinking of hooking up the receive side of an rs232 line driver to the wires that run from the keypad to see if the communication was in a serial protocol I could sniff, like 2400 8-N-1 or something. That being the case I could sniff for the message that tells all the panels that the alarm is activated.

Or I could hook into the pin that controls the "AWAY" element on the LCD panel.

Or I could look on the main board and see if there is anything I can hook in to there. If this model has relay outputs then I guess I need ADT to program that for me, right? What is an Ademco 4204 relay module, and how do I install it?

I don't want cameras running inside the house while were home.

Edited by Scruit

The house we just bought has a security system, but think it is a bit outdated. Was looking at ADT and like the idea as I am gone a lot with work and being out in the country, it would be nice to have - peace of mind I guess...

Anyone have a connection with such things? Anyone suggest something over ADT? They have some seriously competitive pricing and have a lot more options than the other guys seem to do and a low monthly payment.

Discuss.

We have Sterling Protective Services and they are great. They are reasonable and their service has been top notch!

I'll see your big ass dog, and raise you a pulp fiction gimp. defense and justice in one leather wrapped "package"

Gimp-300.jpg

if you're truly WAAAAY out in the boonies, even though it'll cost you a couple bucks, get sensors for all the windows and doors (and garage doors). the idea of having it call a central number (google voice specifically, a similar service used to be called grand central before it was sold to google) that will ring ALL phones is a good one.

but from what i hear, the best thing to do to be made "whole" again after a theft is to go through your house with a camcorder (or may gopro or contourHD lol) and document what you have, and where. keep receipts for everything that is likely to get stolen. if you're really a nutcase, you can generate a spreadsheet of what you have, price info, and scan of the receipt tied together. if you have a home office that you're writing off, that type of documentation system should be relatively painless to incorporate. well, unless you enjoy a painful IRS audit.

my puppy does seem to keep people away from the house though lol (especially lol if you've met my dog).

For those of you that have dogs and believe they not passable, it's too easy to beat a dog. I have befriended some really mean and protective dogs out there and their owners are dumbfounded as to how I did it. No, you don't need a juicy steak, it's all in how you react and treat them. Yes a dog is a good addition to a security system or if you cannot afford a system, but a dog is not fail proof.

For those of you that have dogs and believe they not passable, it's too easy to beat a dog. I have befriended some really mean and protective dogs out there and their owners are dumbfounded as to how I did it. No, you don't need a juicy steak, it's all in how you react and treat them. Yes a dog is a good addition to a security system or if you cannot afford a system, but a dog is not fail proof.

Not to mention the obvious... a dog can't call you or the police :lol:

Dogs are great to protect YOU when you are home, thats about it.

False. :lol:

Every alarm company on the planet tries the list of numbers you give them first. If you give them one number, then that's all the try. If you give them 15, then they try them all. You tell them how to handle it.

I can tell you, however, for fire alarms they call you after calling the fire department. That was awesome.

Umm, wrong Ben. :nono:

I've been doing Fire & Security Systems since 1995, with 5yrears of that

doing mostly residential, I think I know a little bit about this topic.

I did some checking with two of my friends from NE Ohio that operate two

different professional alarm companies and BOTH of them confirmed that their

central stations procedure on a burglar alarm signal is....

1. Call the premise.

2. If no answer at premise, dispatch the police

3. Start calling the contact list

One of them did however confirm theirs used the "one minute delay" thing mentioned,

the other had no delay. Both of them use different stations, they are

"Rapid Response" and "Emergency 24", two very well know non-proprietary central stations.

I'm not sure why some of you think delaying police notification is a good thing.

The first phone call to the premise determines false alarm or not, why delay things?

Edited by SWing'R

Umm' date=' wrong Ben. :nono:

I've been doing Fire & Security Systems since 1995, with 5yrears of that

doing mostly residential, I think I know a little bit about this topic.

I did some checking with two of my friends from NE Ohio that operate two

different professional alarm companies and BOTH of them confirmed that their

central stations procedure on a burglar alarm signal is....

[b']1. Call the premise.

2. If no answer at premise, dispatch the police

3. Start calling the contact list

One of them did however confirm theirs used the "one minute delay" thing mentioned,

"Rapid Response" and "Emergency 24", two very well know non-proprietary central stations.

I'm not sure why some of you think delaying police notification is a good thing.

The first phone call to the premise determines false alarm or not, why delay things?

My case is different because I can see what is going on at the house from anywhere. Plus it is about a 10-15 minute drive from the nearest police staion to my house and 99% of all alarm company calls turn out to be false alarms, so one minute won't make any difference at all.

My cameras are more about tracking the thief down. A such, they are placed for maximum ID potential.

One of them did however confirm theirs used the "one minute delay" thing mentioned' date='

Rapid Response was on my short list of monitoring companies to go with for clients. (they have really hot booth babes at the trade shows too:) but we ended up going w www.security-central.com. No probs for the most part.