Scraped my first peg yesterday

JStump

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but this advice contradicts physics.

it is virtually impossible to initiate a turn on a motorcycle without steering input.

THINKING about using your upper body is definitely helpful, but you simply cannot generate enough lateral force to disturb the bikes gyroscopic balance without steering input.

I believe Keith Code proved this point by welding the bars perfectly straight on a bike as an example. It cannot be turned, because there's no way to (significantly) disrupt its desire to stay upright, and move in a straight line. You can hang off all you want, but initiating lean angle is caused by the wheels moving out from under the bike; not by the rider 'pushing' the top of the bike to one side or the other.

throwing your weight to one side will momentarily cause the bike to move that direction, but it will straighten right back out on its own unless there is steering input to cause more lean.

Which is why I said "MORE SO". Of course you have to steer the bike to turn, but it's getting the feel of shifting the cog that is the point.

have to have a belly pan that holds a set amount of fluid, safety wire oil drain plug, oil fill cap, front and rear axle, pinch bolts, brakes, coolant drain, radiator cap

I'm assuming he'd done all the safety wiring, but not sure what he'd have done about the belly pan? It's got all OEM plastics and he never mentioned anything about race plastics, so I don't know unless there's a belly pan insert that may be legal?........just guessing