This is what it's all about. This guy deserves a couple beers.

Casper

The legal part of my brain is saying: "Hope his building truly is hurricane-proof. Although by not charging money the duty of care required from him should be low enough to withstand any claims should those bikes get damaged..."

The biker in me says: "Nice!"

The legal part of my brain is saying: "Hope his building truly is hurricane-proof. Although by not charging money the duty of care required from him should be low enough to withstand any claims should those bikes get damaged..."

The biker in me says: "Nice!"

yeah, he should really make them sign some kind of release of liability waiver. I would think this is a bailment agreement (he's lawfully possessing property that belongs to someone else), so he IS accepting responsibility for their vehicles in the same manner parking garages accept responsibility if their facility burns down.

Garages always print a big disclaimer on the back of the ticket to avoid a court battle. There's a reason they find that necessary.

But on the flip-side of that coin, this appears to be a custom bike shop. Their business insurance ought to cover damage to the building, and its contents. All he should have to do is write up a $0 "work order" for each bike to make them legitimate customers, and his insurance should cover the bikes if the building fails. That's assumign he has decent insurance.

yeah, he should really make them sign some kind of release of liability waiver. I would think this is a bailment agreement (he's lawfully possessing property that belongs to someone else), so he IS accepting responsibility for their vehicles in the same manner parking garages accept responsibility if their facility burns down.

Garages always print a big disclaimer on the back of the ticket to avoid a court battle. There's a reason they find that necessary.

But on the flip-side of that coin, this appears to be a custom bike shop. Their business insurance ought to cover damage to the building, and its contents. All he should have to do is write up a $0 "work order" for each bike to make them legitimate customers, and his insurance should cover the bikes if the building fails. That's assumign he has decent insurance.

Also I believe the duty of care that you have when you are in posession of other people's property is proportionate to the amount of benefit you derive from the posession of that property.

- If I put your bike in my garage for free over winter and the only person who benefits is you then I am only really on the hook for damage due to negligence etc. If it gets stolen becuase I leave the door open, etc. If I lock it up and someone breaks in then you're SOL. (insurance claims aside)

- If I am working on your bike and you are paying me then we both benefit and my duty of care would be similar to how I would treat it if it were my own.

- If I am borrowing your bike and you aren't chargin me then my duty of care is very high, I would be expected to treat it as if it was a prized posession.