Totaled my bike the weekend before skills test

onyxorca

Its far easier to just take the riding test at the local BMV. Borrow a bike and spend maybe an hour of your time instead of 3 days. If you already know how to ride fairly proficiently (accident aside:D) you will probably be bored to tears taking the beginner course. Simply my opinion, but I think the BRC is more "just learning to ride" oriented. I took the advanced rider course (return rider) at Honda and it was 5 hours at the most, and a good course for low speed maneuvering and some good accident avoidance scenarios......but you have to be licensed to enter.

Its far easier to just take the riding test at the local BMV. Borrow a bike and spend maybe an hour of your time instead of 3 days.

um, that's why I came here. I thought I could just meet up with somebody at the BMV and take it but no one has said anything yet. Do you have a small bike I can borrow?

um, that's why I came here. I thought I could just meet up with somebody at the BMV and take it but no one has said anything yet. Do you have a small bike I can borrow?

Wish I did man, wish I had a garage full of bikes for you to choose from but alas, I am but a poor soul with only enough time for a devout relationship with my one and only streetbike, and nobody gets to hit the switch on her......sit on it and dream but that one I save just for me.

But no major thing man, get your bike situation figured out first then go for it all again - unless somebody would be willing to meet u there, let you take a short hop on their bike to get acquainted, take the test......sounds simple enough but a liability in itself - a main reason I dont let anyone ride mine - I would feel like a pile of shit if someone got hurt riding my bike.

I know only 8 of the scheduled 12 people showed up at my class.

Buildit, a member here, was a walk that class as well.

You're giving up before you've even tried. Waddupwitdat?

Now I did mine in muskingum and that is the same thing that happened here. Plus - Only had one filled slot.

seriously? I'm all for it.

I don't believe you can take the test on a 50cc bike. In Ohio those do not require an endorsement.

Craig

-edit- this is incorrect. :o A 50cc and smaller MOPED(pedal assist) does not require a motorcycle endorsement in Ohio but a SCOOTER does. Thanks for correcting me conn-e-rot.

-edit2- Given the correction above it appears that you CAN take the riding skills test with a licensed 50cc motorscooter.

Edited by CBBaron

Why does everyone say you don't need an endorsement for 50cc scooter?

Because I think that used to be correct.

I know I have read on the Ohio BMV site that vehicles 49cc or under did not require a motorcycle endorsement to operate, but I can't find that any more.

Here is what I found from the motorcycle Ohio website

Moped information

Motor scooter information including this paragraph

In order for an individual to legally operate a motor scooter or mini-motorcycle he or she must be at least 16 years old and hold a valid driver license with a motorcycle endorsement or a motorcycle license. It is important to know Ohio’s road laws and signs before attempting to operate a vehicle of any kind on Ohio’s roadways.

The under 50cc only refers to moped which must have pedals.

Craig

that is the current law for sure, but I found this Yahoo Answers question from 3 years ago. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080710094618AAhziF7

the link to the BMV site is now dead, which leads me to believe that the rule has changed in the last 3 years.

I am really quite sure I read that you didn't need an endorsement for a scooter under 50cc. Obviously that is no longer true, but I am convinced it was accurate in the not so distant past.

Why does everyone say you don't need an endorsement for 50cc scooter?

You need an endorsement for a 50cc scooter.

You don't need an endorsement for a moped. But it can't be any larger than 50cc, can't make more than 1hp, cant go over 20 mph on a level surface, and must be "pedaled" with a helper motor only.

So, most 50cc scooters don't qualify as a moped and you must have your endorsement.

Hope that clears things up!

You need an endorsement for a 50cc scooter.

You don't need an endorsement for a moped. But it can't be any larger than 50cc, can't make more than 1hp, cant go over 20 mph on a level surface, and must be "pedaled" with a helper motor only.

So, most 50cc scooters don't qualify as a moped and you must have your endorsement.

Hope that clears things up!

I thought I said that already?:D

And this only applies to Ohio. Other states have different rules. And it appears that Ohio used to have different rules in the recent past.

All very confusing :confused:

Craig