2012 VStrom is growing on me

Casper

I bought an '06 about a month ago and like mine pretty well. I'm still getting it adjusted (preload, windshield, etc) and getting used to it, but no complaints so far.

I am confused as to why folks aren't fond of the headlight design; it looks fine to me and seems to function really well too.

I have no real aesthetic sense so it more about how the bike functions. The current light function very well and the new one doesn't appear to change that much. Currently the aerodynamics are decent for protection but poor for buffeting. The new one definitely changes that but I will have to test to see if it improves.

I definitely like the new Vstrom but don't see any reason to pay new bike prices to replace my `04 yet. I don't even have 20k on it yet (bought it this year with 14k) so it will be a while before I need to replace.

Craig

I like the new look, but can't figure out how a dual purpose machine (like any might go off road) can have the engine, oil filter/oil line, Radiator hose, ect. all hanging out in the open with out the perimeter frame or a factory skid plate. Plenty of riders will take these to places like Alaska and rock damage is inevitable. So it's really just a tall bagger. I still like it though.

I like the new look, but can't figure out how a dual purpose machine (like any might go off road) can have the engine, oil filter/oil line, Radiator hose, ect. all hanging out in the open with out the perimeter frame or a factory skid plate. Plenty of riders will take these to places like Alaska and rock damage is inevitable. So it's really just a tall bagger. I still like it though.

I agree with you there. I've seen a Strom loose all its oil just due to a good rock hitting the oil filter on a gravel road.

Luckily there are some aftermarket bash plates and engine guards available from several companies, and it looks like the new one has some factory options available.

I still need to get something for mine. I know it only a matter of time before a big rock spills my oil. Last oil change the filter was pretty banged up :eek:

Craig

:nono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVh8bhEbtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoWWlZHSepM

It's all about setup and rider ability.

I agree. But most of those won't see a lot of gravel. If you want a reasonably priced standard under 1000cc, there doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from - the strom or an FZ8. Maybe the Bonneville.

I agree. But most of those won't see a lot of gravel. If you want a reasonably priced standard under 1000cc, there doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from - the strom or an FZ8. Maybe the Bonneville.

What about the KLR650, Versys, old NX250's, even the 250 Ninja can do gravel.

What about the KLR650, Versys, old NX250's, even the 250 Ninja can do gravel.

A 250 is too small and I don't consider thumpers to be standards. Good call on the Versys. The Kawi 650 twins are great deals. The Ninja 650R was almost what I bought instead of the VFR. Pretty widely owned bike too since I see lots of them around and there are at least two forums that follow them and lots of A/M parts.

It can do anything, but why you would want to I don't understand. Cast wheels, limited protection (unless you add a lot of accessories) and it's not exactly a light weight. It really is just a tall road bike. I love mine, but not for it's "offroad capability". New one looks somewhat better.