I'd have to be nuts not to take this trade I just got offered... Right?

Josh1234

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me I would suggest a cold start. To see how the bike reacts when it is not all warmer up. This can show you more flaws then a warm bike. Such as any oil that may have got past a piston will show as blue smoke on start up, but you may not be able to see any when its hot.

^ this.

but specify you want to see a cold start...if not you might show up and its warm already, he wanted a "last ride" on it or something, seen it happen

Know what I realized on the way home, Mike? He probably lives 5 minutes from the mall, and wasn't even there in the first place... he was probably just sitting around at home waiting for US to get there, so he wouldn't have to wait.

Anyway, it was definitely legit, and I'm sure that if I'd waved any of my my $500 cash in front of him, he would've gladly accepted.... But the more Mike and I looked at the bike, the more we saw wrong with it. At first glance, cracked and beat to shit plastics. At second glance, missing turns signals. Zip-tied on license plate, wires sticking out frmo the wiring harness all over, JB weld in too many important places, leaking oil from the dipstick ("Oh yeah, the guy said I needed a new gasket or to have that re-threaded..."), VERY hot transmission, blown fork seal, etc etc etc.

I didn't ask to ride it, and turned him down.

I wouldn't have made half as smart an educated decision without Mike there, so I'm really grateful he came.

I think that with some time & effort, and a few replacement parts, it could've been a great deal... It's still a $11,000 bike new, and it had less than 10K miles... But I'm not looking for a project or fixxer-upper, I'm looking to enjoy the rest of the riding season on a bike that I know has been maintained.

Mike did a lot of talking to the guy (Who had a friend with him, who rolled up on a black GSXR). He said he'd been through about 20 bikes, so Mike figures he buys 'em, abuses 'em, and flips em :)

He rode up in a wifebeater, shorts, & flipflops, btw :p

I was sad to let it go, but I think in the long run, I would've been sadder if I'd bought it and then regretted it. Buella comtinues to be my girl, until I can sell/trade her :)