still adjusting to the 600...

RSparky

So, lately I've been noticing some things that I don't think I did on the 650.

Such as the complete lack of torque at anything under 6k rpm... I have a yoshi exhaust, so i try to keep the revs low in the apartment late at night, but idk. It makes a grinding clanky noise when it's on the verge of stalling. Bad? Probably. :wtf: The 650 would just yank you right forward when you let the clutch out slowly. I was pampered.

Also, not sure what the difference in transmission is, in the very close top three gears, but I find that upshifting is sometimes a double click in those top three. I generally always clutch. When I pull up, it clicks, but after that automatically clicks up a lil more, as if it's setting into place. If I try to ease up, then I think I would get a void between gears, eh? Something like that accidentally happened while accelerating hard on the highway once.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but this bitch just seems more finicky all around...

it's an engine/ clutch ish area noise. recently replaced chain and sprockets, and they're within spec.

well, they were before the indy trip. slightly longer now. crazy. even so, this noise is more like a 'wtf, give it gas you tard!' thing, i think.

Edited by RSparky

1000~~ish. like i'm letting the clutch out, and barely throttling, so as to keep it running, start rolling, but stay quiet.

after asking around, i think it may be that the valves are out of whack, and smacking. bad. the guy i bought it from definitely seemed to have beat the shit out of it. haven't gotten around to checking shit like i should have. shame on me.

So, lately I've been noticing some things that I don't think I did on the 650.

Such as the complete lack of torque at anything under 6k rpm... I have a yoshi exhaust, so i try to keep the revs low in the apartment late at night, but idk. It makes a grinding clanky noise when it's on the verge of stalling. Bad? Probably. :wtf: The 650 would just yank you right forward when you let the clutch out slowly. I was pampered.

Also, not sure what the difference in transmission is, in the very close top three gears, but I find that upshifting is sometimes a double click in those top three. I generally always clutch. When I pull up, it clicks, but after that automatically clicks up a lil more, as if it's setting into place. If I try to ease up, then I think I would get a void between gears, eh? Something like that accidentally happened while accelerating hard on the highway once.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but this bitch just seems more finicky all around...

Your kinda experiencing why I never really took to 600s. No grunt or midrange and you gotta revvvvv to get 'em moving. Great for the track, but more tempormental on the street. Sorta lead to my gravitating to VFRs.

That R-6 is a peaky bitch and your gonna have to learn to rev the thing to get it off the line, and work that shift lever. :cool:

it's all good. but man, especially after the trip to indy, sometimes i yearn for the comfy rideability of the ninja 650.

Those 650s are nice bikes. Sometimes people fall in love with the race fantasy and lose sight of reality. You probably never took the 650 to its capabilities, yet wanted something more capable. The 600 definitely takes higher revs. It always will.

Sounds to me like your boggin' it when your leaving a stop.......like these guys are saying, give it some more throttle when your letting out the clutch -- I've heard 6's don't have much at the bottom of the rev's so a couple grand to get going is probably typical........and crankcase noise at less than idle is normal for most any bike........but, if you've got shifting issues where it doesn't want to "seat" into the next gear I'm assuming it could be shift fork related? I've had a bent fork on my last Yamaha and it would jump out of 2nd gear ( when under power ) into a false neutral or it would bind the whole trans ( scary shit when that happens )

Those 650s are nice bikes. Sometimes people fall in love with the race fantasy and lose sight of reality. You probably never took the 650 to its capabilities, yet wanted something more capable. The 600 definitely takes higher revs. It always will.

Agree. 600's aren't made to be ridden on the street... They're supposed to live between 8,000 and 15,000 RPM.

As for the chain tension, a loose chain is a happy chain. I'd always err on the side of too loose versus too tight. When the suspension compresses, the chain naturally tightens, so you need to leave enough slack that the suspension has full range of motion. On a stock rear shock, it's very possible that the spring is soft enough to bottom-out the suspension.

That will cause the bike to feel "jerky" at low speeds, but it's for the best.

If you're just hearing kind of a valvetrain noise, that's totally normal at/just around idle under load. There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting the clutch out at idle speed on any bike. Don't listen to internet ricers that tell you to rev to 2000rpm just to get moving, that's retarded and will only accelerate wear. Your shifting issue sounds like a problem. I'd agree with Hellmutt and suspect a bent fork, but give it a look. Might just be a worn detent or something simple.

That being said all the 600s I've ridden have enough torque to easily keep up with traffic shifting at 3k or 4k rpm under light throttle. Obviously if you want to go faster, rev it more.

I would accept it as valve train noise, but the clanks are accompanied by stuttery jerks. And I'm not always experiencing this.i usually start with throttle, anywhere from 4 -6 k rpm and it's just fine. But down low when I'm trying not to be loud, I think it just isn't puttingout torque, so it sputters. Idk. I'm asking lol.

If you're just hearing kind of a valvetrain noise, that's totally normal at/just around idle under load. There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting the clutch out at idle speed on any bike. Don't listen to internet ricers that tell you to rev to 2000rpm just to get moving, that's retarded and will only accelerate wear. Your shifting issue sounds like a problem. I'd agree with Hellmutt and suspect a bent fork, but give it a look. Might just be a worn detent or something simple.

That being said all the 600s I've ridden have enough torque to easily keep up with traffic shifting at 3k or 4k rpm under light throttle. Obviously if you want to go faster, rev it more.

Never said anything about slipping it on the start, what I'm saying is that a 600 doesn't have the ass to cruise at 1000rpm. In town I rarely see 5k on the tach, but I also keep it over 2k to keep it rolling.

you don't know how to use a clutch. take the msf course lol

seriously though, you can't be at 1000 rpm, it's suposed to be 1300 per the manual at idle.

you need more gas bro.

I leave mine idle at 1500. i can take off on it without any gas. so either you are super fat, in 2nd gear or have different sprockets. that noise you hear is your fault. and you are damaging the engine.

keep in mind the R6 is a pure race bike. it's power band is from 10k to 15K. at which point 75% of it's power comes on in an instant. leave in the right gear and you can spin the rear coming out of corners if you want.

Edited by serpentracer

I've had a bent fork on my last Yamaha and it would jump out of 2nd gear ( when under power ) into a false neutral or it would bind the whole trans ( scary shit when that happens )

my vmax jumped out a couple times, and it bound up once too! definitely scary shit when it binds up....i was going about 85, backroads, night time...riding with a supermoto and an sv650, two bikes way more capable than the max...almost lost it that time, got a little tail wiggle coming out of a slight curve when it locked