Rider saved by good samaritans from under 3700lb burning car

Das Borgen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxPWx4YW20

A motorcyclist who was dragged beneath a car Monday in Logan was rescued by bystanders who helped police lift the burning car and pull the man out from under the wreckage. He was reported to be in critical condition Monday night.

Brandon Wright was riding east on U.S. Highway 89 about 11:40 a.m., when a driver steered his BMW 530XI into the motorcycle’s path from a parking lot across the street from the Utah State University campus, said Assistant Logan Police Chief Jeff Curtis. The driver of the BMW did not see Wright, who laid down his bike and slid into the car.

The motorcycle and Wright were pulled under the car, where the motorcycle’s gas line was severed, causing the bike and the car to catch fire while he was trapped underneath, Curtis said.

Several bystanders rushed to the car and lifted it off Wright while officers and other witnesses pulled him out and moved him to safety.

Wright suffered broken bones, cuts and burns, Curtis said. The driver of the BMW was not injured but "was shaken up, obviously," he said.

Firefighters put out the flames shortly after the crash, Curtis said.

i m loving the construction worker coming out opf left field at 00:19 and pulling the rider out as others are lifting the bimmer. I'm glad to see the guy did not die with the help of this selfless act from the people

I can't tell what kind of motorcycle it is

also notice the man in suit doing nothing....he's likely the BMW driver who didn't see the rider..........it sucks being associated with douche BMW drivers :(

edit: come to think of it, aside from being at fault, the BMW driver probably isn't a douche for not helping...he was likely in shock from what he had done

Edited by Das Borgen

From: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52574438-78/story.csp

Tyler Riggs, who identified himself as a cousin of Wright’s, stated Tuesday that Wright had undergone surgery Monday night and was expected to recover, though it would be a long recuperation.

"Brandon was able to meet with family Monday night and said he is very humbled, and owes so many people his life," Riggs said. "Brandon and our entire family would like to express our deep gratitude to all the people who stopped at the crash scene . . . to help rescue Brandon."

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck that dude in the suit. Usually when people are in shock they have to sit down, tunnel vision, incomprehensible. He was walking unassisted just pacing around looking like he was more worried about his car or getting his clothes dirty than to help save a life. Fuck that dude.

Here, watch the long version if you have the time. 14 minutes.

And I'm thinking that the car's radiator helped suppress the fire.

You can see it steam off and the fire lessens for a minute.

Just long enough to give him a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEDQItVCxbw&feature=related

The girl that gets down on the ground and looks is the one with the guts.

I've been there and done that, and no one wants to do that, to get down and look.

edit: And after having been at the scene of at least one of these, I'll say that everyone there is in shock.

It gets really crazy, more time is spent keeping people from doing the wrong thing than the right thing.

Sort of a decision by committee of those that haven't any idea what to do.

But they want to help, that is what counts. And they got it done.

Edited by ReconRat