Need a 220 line run too a hottub

Ringo

220 only diffence is 2 wires go to double breaker. Meaning both are hot. uninsulated wire is only one going to ground on breaker box. I've replaced whole breaker boxes that were hot but yours being in a house id go the safe way and turn it all off. Run it in conduit for sure when outside. Not sure what your incoming amperage to the box in house is, but make sure you have enough

Ok hooking up a hot tub is ez. Check the nameplate to see the minimum circuit size (probably 30A). If so, use 10 copper stranded wire for the 2 hot wires and the neutral (if needed), and run it through some 3/4 schedule 40 (grey electrical pvc) pipe. If going underground bury it at least 18" down to the top of the pipe in the trench. Mount a gfci 30A disconnect and run the pipe into it. If you don't have a solid mounting spot for the dc, try a chunk of treated 4x4 with about 2 ft down in the ground and 2 or 3 ft sticking above ground.. After you have the pipe run from the breaker panel to the dc, pull in 3 cut pieces of #10 stranded copper wire, one in its black insulation, one with red tape on it (on both ends) and the last with white tape on both ends. Also run a piece of #12 with green tape on both ends. Make sure you cut the wire plenty long. You should end up with about a foot sticking out of the pipe coming into the dc, and 3 or 4 ft sticking out of the pipe going into the panel. Install a new 30A 2 pole breaker in your panel. Go outside and terminate the wires into the dc. Black-line 1, red-line 2, white (if needed) to neutral bar, and the green #12 to the ground bar (separate bar from the neutral bar. Now terminate the wires coming from the tub into the dc. After they are all tight and the dc is closed back up, go inside and terminate the wires in the panel. Black and red #10 to the breaker, white to neutral bar, and the green to the ground bar.

Ok hooking up a hot tub is ez. Check the nameplate to see the minimum circuit size (probably 30A). If so, use 10 copper stranded wire for the 2 hot wires and the neutral (if needed), and run it through some 3/4 schedule 40 (grey electrical pvc) pipe. If going underground bury it at least 18" down to the top of the pipe in the trench. Mount a gfci 30A disconnect and run the pipe into it. If you don't have a solid mounting spot for the dc, try a chunk of treated 4x4 with about 2 ft down in the ground and 2 or 3 ft sticking above ground.. After you have the pipe run from the breaker panel to the dc, pull in 3 cut pieces of #10 stranded copper wire, one in its black insulation, one with red tape on it (on both ends) and the last with white tape on both ends. Also run a piece of #12 with green tape on both ends. Make sure you cut the wire plenty long. You should end up with about a foot sticking out of the pipe coming into the dc, and 3 or 4 ft sticking out of the pipe going into the panel. Install a new 30A 2 pole breaker in your panel. Go outside and terminate the wires into the dc. Black-line 1, red-line 2, white (if needed) to neutral bar, and the green #12 to the ground bar (separate bar from the neutral bar. Now terminate the wires coming from the tub into the dc. After they are all tight and the dc is closed back up, go inside and terminate the wires in the panel. Black and red #10 to the breaker, white to neutral bar, and the green to the ground bar.

Winner winner chicken dinner. I doubt you will need a neutral though prolly just a ground

Do some research on this. We've been shopping for hottubs, and the electricians around here want $500 to run the electrical. You'll probably need that 50 amp, but may need a 60 with that size of tub. May need to ground the pad. Enjoy it. We still haven't bitten the bullet. I'm afraid that I'll shell out a few grand, then will only use it for a couple of months.

Many Moons ago I srviced and installed hot tubs all over the state of Ohio. We would never touch the electrical hookup for insurance and liability reasons. Get someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to a 50 amp 220V hookup. Dont skimp on this, it will only hurt yourself, your property and possibly your friends.

Many Moons ago I srviced and installed hot tubs all over the state of Ohio. We would never touch the electrical hookup for insurance and liability reasons. Get someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to a 50 amp 220V hookup. Dont skimp on this, it will only hurt yourself, your property and possibly your friends.

(threadjack)

So I assume you had to move them too? Any input on this that hasn't already been mentioned?

My post at AFJ:

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?15081-Hoisting-a-hot-tub

(threadjack)

So I assume you had to move them too? Any input on this that hasn't already been mentioned?

My post at AFJ:

Read through the thread, the forklift idea really is your best option. If you can't get one back there, the only other thing I can think of is to crane it out of there (I've seen it done). You really have no chance of carrying that thing off the deck, it's big like mine and proabably weighs close to 1000 lbs. empty.

Read through the thread, the forklift idea really is your best option. If you can't get one back there, the only other thing I can think of is to crane it out of there (I've seen it done). You really have no chance of carrying that thing off the deck, it's big like mine and proabably weighs close to 1000 lbs. empty.

Thanks

I was surprised to read "nearly 1,000 lbs empty," so I did a quick search. I also found some info on the breaker in the process:

Hot tubs weigh about 700 to 800 pounds dry and about 3700 pounds when filled. Placement of the hot tub should be planned well ahead of delivery. The location should be accessible to the 50 amp service most require

I have casually looked into buying a used tub, because my back patio is perfect for it... I'd buy something used though. They seem to depreciate VERY quickly.

found a local guy that one of my roomate knows that will do it for free if we buy the materials and beer :p WINNING. As far as moving it, we had 10 guys pretty big and it was still a struggle. Easily a 1000 lb tub.

found a local guy that one of my roomate knows that will do it for free if we buy the materials and beer :p WINNING. As far as moving it, we had 10 guys pretty big and it was still a struggle. Easily a 1000 lb tub.

Sounds like you got a helluva deal. Good for you, and good luck!

10 big guys one 1000lb tub? Sounds like the wrong 10 guys

Ya man, its not the volts its the amps, and actually 110 is more dangerous as a whole I was told because a 220 will kick you off the line but a 110 you just sit there and fry....

At least when I looked into the same thing basically, I was told that. I had a friend of a friend come out and it was still 800 due to the price of copper for the main line. It was 600 for that alone he said. And I know he wasn't BSing me, but my box was way further away.

PS get new friends for sure lol. 1,000 lbs and 10 people, shit.

(threadjack)

My post at AFJ:

Moved a ton as well. I read through your thread on AFJ. A few things to consider. used tubs are always heavier than new ones since they have had water in them (try as you may, it is nearly impossible the get 100% of the water out) and the wood skirting and the insulation has absorbed some water, the water remaining in the lines all adds up to extra weight. The way we moved most were on their sides. Get the power disconnected, stand it up on its side on an old piece of carpet and slide the carpet to wherever you need to go. Also used 1 1/2 inch PVC sections and did the pyramid roll a few times as well. On the deck, if you can’t get the railing off and replaced after you move the tub, try the stairs. Not the easiest, but definitely been done before. Once it’s on its side and you’re able to move it around, you would be surprised where and how you can move it. We had custom built dollies with pneumatic tires that we used once the tubs were on the ground. It's hard to tell what kind of tub that one is, but the better ones have foam filling the entire cavity between the skirt and the shell. This adds rigidity to the unit so it makes it easier to move. Our crews usually consisted of three guys. When it goes on a raised deck like that one, we used a couple more. Anything more than that and it was too crowded and made it more difficult. Cranes are applicable as well, we took one off of a 9th story balcony downtown once. Lifted one over a house in Clintonville so the guy could put it in his courtyard. Its surprising where some people want these things. If you have any detailed questions shoot me a PM, I will be glad to help in any way I can.

• 2 months later...
Have you priced your material yet?

I doubt if you'll even get the material for that $100.

This. Finally got my tub moved. Just a roll of 8/3 is over $200. Doesnt include conduit, breakers, gfci, disconnects, or anything else. A 220 line will cost me more than the tub itself!

NoBama 2012