Fork Seals SOUND OFF!

kawipilot

How do you think the tools you buy got engineered? I was a machinists for 8 years and had to engineer and build several tools for all sorts of different stuff at work. A broom stick is softer than any part inside that fork, so it can't possibly damage anything, and its just used to keep the damper from spinning so you can break loose the screw that holds it in the fork. Could someone explain to me why that's so terrible?

Hey man, you can be a snob all you want but don't question my methods. I'm an FAA certified mechanic so I'm pretty sure I can do a set of forks. I just jack all the weight off the front end, remove the caps, let the 1/2 inch or so of compressed spring decompress, remove the springs, shove my hillbilly broom stick into the depression on the end of the dampening rod and use an impact wrench to remove the cap screw at the bottom of the fork leg. Like I said, I work on older stuff and have never done a set of inverted forks, maybe its a lot different and requires fancy-pants tools. This is how I do it and I got the directions off of a yamaha forum. Next you'll tell me I shouldn't use a length of 1-1/2 inch pvc pipe to press the new seal in.

Not being a snob at all, dude. I'm just telling guys that anyone that uses broom sticks on modern sportbikes, they probably need to consider elsewhere.

PVC is fine as long as it is the right size. Again, there's a difference between using something that will work the same as something else and hillbilly riggin the thing to get by.

Again, not an issue if you wanna do what you wanna do. FAA ain't motorcycles so...

I'm not busting balls. I am simply trying to help the OP get some info that may be of interest.

Ok so after reading your replies, thanks by the way, here goes. I put the cartridge kits and seals in both forks in less than an hour.(over the winter)

It cost me $215.00 trackside to have bloody seals replaced. I guess I never thought motorcyclists would bend a fellow rider over like that. Hell I gave a guy i didn't even know a $400.00 set of rearsets after he wrote his name and address down on a freakin shop towel so he could keep on riding. He actually crashed again and paid me within 60 days for the set I gave him. That brothers and sisters is how riders treat each other, not taking advantage of a guy 10 hours from home with a seal leak. Just sayin.