anyone ever built a hackintosh?

natedogg624

i was considering getting a mac mini when i realized from my young college days I could build a much better computer for the same price the mini is worth.

i understand the process of getting the software to work, i've seen the websites of combatible hardware, my problem is finding out what works with what. ie if i choose motherboard a, what processor works with a or what video card do i need...

Edited by natedogg624

I triple-boot my Dell laptop: Win 7, Crunchbang Linux (#!), and OSX.

Only tough part was messing with the kext files to get wireless and sound working.

Any Intel-based mobo should work fine.

Since you're violating Apple's rulez by installing on non-Apple hardware, at least make it semi-legit by buying a copy of OSX at your local Crapple store. It's only $25 or $30 bucks. :rulez:

As an alternative, you could build a virtual OSX machine and run it in Virtual box. May want to try that first to see if you really need a machine that boots straight into OSX.

• 3 months later...

Osxproject86.org has pretty much all the info you need, I almost made one just for fun using this site. Just be warned that by doing this, you will not be getting 2 of the biggest benefits of the os which is stability and performance. The os is designed for specific hardware so when you start throwing stuff at it that it was never meant to run on it slows down a lot and tends to crash on occasion, but being a windows user currently you should be used to that lol.

I would also recommend the virtual machine route, except I prefer vmware since I am a windows/vmware admin at work lol

it slows down a lot and tends to crash on occasion, but being a windows user currently you should be used to that lol.

:wtf: I can't remember the last time my Win7 laptop crashed, outside of using a generic battery making poor connection causing it to lose the suspended session when I go to restart when I get where I'm going. Hardly the fault of Win7.

Is there loss of performance/mac reliability with one of these builds?

Shouldn't be. Hardware's hardware, for the most part. Note that Apple uses Radeon (AMD) graphics in their non-laptop devices, so if you're building from scratch that's something to think about.

Assuming a clean drive, and assuming you want to dual boot Windows and OS X, install OS X first, then Windows, mark the OS X partition as active (Windows will mark itself as active), then you're good to go.

Is there loss of performance/mac reliability with one of these builds?

Well let's put it this way, tests have shown that windows runs better on a Mac than on a pc. So the pc already lost the performance battle, so putting osx on a pc will not give you the same performance as if it were on a similarly equipped Mac.

Reliability will be ok as long as you do not update the OS without first waiting for the go ahead from the hackintosh community to say it is stable.

In the end, it really comes down to the guts of the machine. Apple makes all of their parts or has strict guidelines for how a part is to be made so they know every Mac will run osx without a hitch or if there is a hitch it is fixed quickly due to a small hardware pool they need to test fixes on. PCs on the other hand are built from thousands of different parts and windows has to accommodate this, sometimes not very well. Granted this has gotten much better with windows 7 but it is still not an OS tailored to specific hardware.

Overall, it will work but just expect hiccups occasionally.

Well let's put it this way, tests have shown that windows runs better on a Mac than on a pc...

Windows runs better in a virtual environment than it does on physical hardware... Much better.

Having used Win 7 since it was beta, I can say that I haven't seen it crash (i.e. blue screen) once. I was able to get Server 2008 to blue screen once. <That> was a fun day.

(I am not a Windows fanboi, but I administer a couple hundred Windows servers).

Windows runs better in a virtual environment than it does on physical hardware... Much better.

Having used Win 7 since it was beta, I can say that I haven't seen it crash (i.e. blue screen) once. I was able to get Server 2008 to blue screen once. was a fun day.

(I am not a Windows fanboi, but I administer a couple hundred Windows servers).

Yes, windows runs amazing as a vm, this is basically the same reason osx runs amazing on a Mac. VMs are run on "Virtual hardware" which is tailored to work best with windows.

And I see server 2008 machines bluescreen atleast once a week lol. I do work with about 400 servers though(about 70% are VMs).