Roundabout fun...

Scruit

The other day, 62 @ Morse rd, I had someone STOP in the middle of the roundabout to let traffic merge into the roundabout! :eek: He get a good blasting of my horn, and continued on when the traffic wasn't merging in. :nono:

Ya, people around here really don't have a clue when it comes to roundabouts!

I still have trouble getting my head around the fact that people dont have the mere pocket change to pay attention on the roads......like a bunch of blind, deaf mutes out there driving anymore - I love having 6 lights on the front of my bike, and I usually run my brights at all times too - if they cant hear my megaphone exhaust, the light tips them off that I do exist out there

I go around a 2 lane roundabout every day to work and back, guess how many times people have just obpiviously wandered from the inside lane to.the outside lane while.getting on. I grew up in tallmadge which has an 8 exit circle in the center of.town. twice I have seen people.with west Virginia tags going around.the wrong way. I've also.seen people.slam on the brakes and try to reverse after missing their exit, as if they weren't allowed to drive around it again. Tallmadge circle has the highest number of accidents in summit co.

There is a very small roundabout in somerset Ohio. That has signs that say yield to incoming traffic from the right or something along those lines so they actually expect people to stop in the middle. I got pulled over because I didn't yield to a cop entering from my right. I told him the intersection was set up incorrectly. He let me off with a warning.

Comments?

Probably not the comment you want to hear, but part of the issue is

your attitude; after reading your comments on youtube its obvious you

are expecting people to drive correctly including yielding when they should.

When riding a bike, you need to ride with the exact opposite attitude,

if you want to stay alive that is.

Your comment here is what I am referring to..."I saw the cars coming, but I knew they had to yield"

An attitude like that will get you killed!

You have to ride with the expectation that....

- the car will NOT yield

- the car WILL come in your lane

- the car WILL turn in front of you

- the car did NOT see you

I am not condoning the actions of the drivers in your video, just my thoughts.

Edited by SWing'R
  • Upvote 1

There is a very small roundabout in somerset Ohio. That has signs that say yield to incoming traffic from the right or something along those lines so they actually expect people to stop in the middle. I got pulled over because I didn't yield to a cop entering from my right. I told him the intersection was set up incorrectly. He let me off with a warning.

That roundabout is a disaster. I hate it. Why design one like that I'll never figure out.

Probably not the comment you want to hear' date=' but part of the issue is

[b']your attitude; after reading your comments on youtube its obvious you

Your comment here is what I am referring to..."I saw the cars coming, but I knew they had to yield"

- the car will NOT yield

I am fully aware that people break the law. I was also prepared to avoid them, as I did. :)

from youtube comment: "You're going too fast for the roundabout, so they just did not expect to see you"

Apparently this person has such superb mental processing that they assume all humans are capable of only scanning the field of vision within which one can assume a vehicle traveling the speed limit would be. No need to look elsewhere, since everybody should be following the law, right?

But in seriousness, this represents the common view that we as motorcyclists are always going "wayyy too fast." There's no good way from a video like that to judge your speed, but the pre-conceived notion of all bikers are lawless hooligans comes raging out. The cars entering the roundabout don't appear to have slowed much prior to their entry, but apparently you should have according to these folk.

If you think riding a motorcycle through a roundabout is bad, try a bicycle. I'll be in the roundabout and people coming up from behind (entered the roundabout well after me) will honk and give me the finger as if I have no business being in one, even though I stay as far right in my lane as is possible. In this country if you aren't driving a tank sized SUV, you don't have any right of way ever.

so where are you? north side of Cbus? Dublin/ hilliard area. I know there is a couple over there that are like that.

Live in Delaware, work in Dublin. This is Sawmill Parkway @ Hyatts.

Edited by Scruit

There's no good way from a video like that to judge your speed

There IS... :D

2011-10-07 16:08:08 899 ft 47 mph

2011-10-07 16:08:43 895 ft 30 mph

2011-10-07 16:09:14 856 ft 41 mph

My theft recovery GPS tracker allows me to download data...

It's about a minute off the camera time. ie 16:08 on the GPS track is 16:09 on the camera. I did 47mph approaching the roundabout and 30mph leaving it. 50mph limit.

The camera adds to the sense of speed - the loud wind noise, lean angle and vibration make it seem like you're going much faster. Car drivers simply don't understand. They think "45mph is smooth as silk in my car so noisy/vibration much be 90!"

Edited by Scruit

Probably not the comment you want to hear' date=' but part of the issue is

[b']your attitude; after reading your comments on youtube its obvious you

- the car will NOT yield

Defensive riding FTW.