Anyone on here trade stocks?

JStump

Thanks but not really looking for investment strategies especially involving mutual funds. My 401k covers that for me. That's my fallback in case my riskier stuff tanks. The stuff I do on my own blows any mutual fund away. Option calls and puts are where most of my money is going. Just sold some calls for a large search engine today and made over 100% on them in less than 3 months. They are not all like that though but at this point its all 'house money' I'm playing with now anyways.

I don't do individual stocks... mutual funds are the way to do it. No load, with an expense ratio < 1%. Like Cleave said, your best bet is probably an index fund, but I don't own any of those because my brokerage house needs a $10k minimum to get in if it's not a 401k, and I'm diversified enough on my own. In fact, I had an Edward Jones consultant look over my picks to see if he could do any better... he recommended some of his own funds (which had heavy front loads), but admitted that my analysis and ratios for the ones I picked indicated good long term performance and there wasn't much he could do for my portfolio.

Also, like Cleave kinda sorta pointed out, I believe the fact remains that over any given 20-year (or maybe it was 25 or 30, I dunno) period since inception, the WORST stock market performance was still at 9%. So pick any 20 years and that's the WORST you would've came out with in the NYSE. I have the research to back it up, it's just hard to find at the moment.

Basically, if you read this: http://www.fundadvice.com/articles/buy-hold/the-ultimate-buy-and-hold-strategy.html, that's near what I'm doing with my personal stash. My 401k is a wholly different story/strategy.

OSU and Jrmii are both right (or not wrong) on their each account. My philosophy has always been to be risky since your young. You can make up any losses and aren't completely fucked. I check the markets everyday and spend atleast 30-60 minutes a day keeping tabs on my equities. I still don't think you can ever have a hands off approach( buy and hold) in today's economy...look at lehman bros. But mutual funds and equities can contribute to a good portfolio...stay educated, stocks are guaranteed money on any acct.

• 3 months later...

You guys are getting me interested in stocks again, I decided a couple months ago that I didn't know enough about trading to make it worth it but I would love some extra income and have been learning more about it so now I am just looking for some good stocks to do short term purchases. Any one know of good short term stocks I should look at?