Lettuce discus the bmw r1200gsa

sturg

So ive been lurking craigslist, cycle trader, etc etc and have NOT been able to find much out there for used super tenere or the v storm 1000. The 650 looks great, but id like a bigger bike for a long ride

Here are a few:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2608621972.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110756329697+&viewitem=

http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/68307-2006-dl1000-eastern-nebraska-low-miles.html

http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/69068-2006-dl1000.html

http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/68586-07-dl-1000-%245-000-a.html

I have a Vee and love it.

Heck I was thinking if the triumph sells and I get wgat I am asking I might sell the dr 350 and upgrade to a wee strom or a dr 650 and set them up for long range stuff, commuting duties. Wish I could get the ok to make a trip like this.

Don't contimplate the dr650 unless you are doing woods or some horrible off road. The wee strom is sooooooooo much of a smother machine and will fit the commuting better. Put a 16 tooth sprocket up front and you will also get way better mileage on road. If your really putting a ton of miles on, car tires fit the back. But that's another can of worms. But I'm trying it after I get all my ME880s used up.

Depending on where you're going DR650's parts seem to be universal and plentiful. I'm not saying the wee storm isnt superior in other aspects but when it comes to available replacement parts the DR is hard to beat.

On another note ive recanted on the DL1000. Too heavy for what i could possibly encounter. The wee storm sounds like a well rounded bike but i'm going to see how far i can take the DR. When i bought it, it came with an additional 5gal tank so ill pop that on there and start riding.

Edited by sturg

Depending on where you're going DR650's parts seem to be universal and plentiful. I'm not saying the wee storm isnt superior in other aspects but when it comes to available replacement parts the DR is hard to beat.

On another note ive recanted on the DL1000. Too heavy for what i could possibly encounter. The wee storm sounds like a well rounded bike but i'm going to see how far i can take the DR. When i bought it, it came with an additional 5gal tank so ill pop that on there and start riding.

I had a DR650. Parts are easier to get for the VStrom. More dealers/shops keep VStrom parts in stock. Parts aren't hard to get by any means, but often need shipped and can't be had overnight.

What's everyones take on the klr 650 for a 75/25 on road touring bike?

I'm biased but the pre 07 KLRs are better. :D Honestly my impression of the post 08' KLR is a single cylinder wee strom with better suspension but just as much plastic. Plus side to the KLR is that they are inexpensive which means you can spend the extra money on upgrades and bling.;)

Don't contimplate the dr650 unless you are doing woods or some horrible off road. The wee strom is sooooooooo much of a smother machine and will fit the commuting better. Put a 16 tooth sprocket up front and you will also get way better mileage on road. If your really putting a ton of miles on, car tires fit the back. But that's another can of worms. But I'm trying it after I get all my ME880s used up.

In the US? I know a lot of S.American countries/cities use the DR650s as police bikes.

Not to mention just about all of OZ. Spare parts l around like CDI's, stators, wheels, starters. The sort of shit that cant be welded and will significantly bog a ride down if not readily available.

Availability in the US is one thing but what im looking for is overall sales in a country.

Better suspension for off road or all together better? I found a few good deals on klr 650's both new and old body styles.

Better off road. Actually very good in the twisties too but on highway that tall bike catches a lot of wind. Honestly for touring the newer KLRs are probably better simply because of the extra cowling making them more aerodynamic. Off road the taller suspension will make bouncing over rocks much easier. The lighter weight helps too. Just be aware at heights under 5'10" you'll feel like it's to tall. At 6'4" I gave mine a 1" raising link. But like I said the extra money gets used to personalize the bike.;)

Looks a little steep for the price. Ive seen newer and in better condition for not much more.

It's Craigs list, never pay what they post. :D Like suggested retail pricing. Gives you an idea of what they want, not what they'll get. :D

It's Craigs list, never pay what they post. :D Like suggested retail pricing. Gives you an idea of what they want, not what they'll get. :D

Agreed. Usually a high list means they wont come down to where you want cuz theyve already dropped alot. Ive seen pretty clean and well equiped DL1k's in the 4-5k region. Which is well worth the money cuz they hold value.

Agreed. Usually a high list means they wont come down to where you want cuz theyve already dropped alot. Ive seen pretty clean and well equiped DL1k's in the 4-5k region. Which is well worth the money cuz they hold value.

Ive seen a few over the past week or so. It seems that most people who have these bikes maintain them to a higher standard compared to the avg. motorcycle owner. And it makes sense that they would as its in their best interest to not break down in BFE.

Cheap,decked out, pristinly maintained, turn key adventure warriors just waiting to stretch their legs!....but were getting married in July and leaving for Australia for at least 6mo from Hawaii so i cant justify picking one up.:cry:

It's a terrible problem to have, i know. :D