RIP Dan Wheldon

Disclaimer

Been a long time since I've seen one that bad. 15 cars, instant red flag, and three drivers sent to the hosptial plus Dan's loss. I did not get to meet him personally, but I have worked around the sport for many years and this is devestating because he was very well liked. Much like Scott Brayton years ago.

RIP Dan. I pray for his family and those he left behind.

This may sound shitty' date=' but I hope the fence simply snapped his neck and killed him instantly. I don't really follow Indy, but know the danger involved with 1000+ hp machines and open wheel bumping.

Godspeed, Racer.[/quote']

Nah man, you're right. I only hope that he didn't suffer.

Man I teared up this morning again just talking about it on the drive in. I'm getting soft in my old age.

Horrible crash and a loss to racing. RIP Dan Wheldon

You hate to hear about this happening in any type of racing, especially at such a high level when every precaution is taken but this is the reality of high speed motorsports

my sentiments exactly.

This is the first time I've seen footage of the wreck, but I've been hearing about it on the radio, from classmates, etc., and I've been getting mildly irritated.

Every time there is a motorsports fatality, people get all up in arms about the safety of the sport. What they're totally ignoring is that 14 other cars were involved in the same wreck, and there was only 1 fatality.

I feel terrible for Dan Wheldon's family, but this isn't some huge failure on the sanctioning body, the track, the cars, or the racers... It was an accident. Thankfully, accidents of this severity are rare.

We see the same thing in bike racing, and in other sports. I feel horrible saying it this way, and I don't mean this the way it's going to sounds, but I'm thankful for the perspective provided by that high school football player dying. Obviously his death is tragic, and I mean no disrespect to his family - but one would hope that this diffuses some of the finger-pointing at racing as "too dangerous."

I tell people, "I want to go at 100 years old, or 100 miles per hour. Preferably both."

I am sure Dan Wheldon had a lot of reasons he wanted to stick around, but he died racing. For his sake, I hope he was loving it right up until the end. Prayers for those he leaves behind.