RIP Dan Wheldon

Disclaimer

Horrible crash and a loss to racing. RIP Dan Wheldon

You hate to hear about this happening in any type of racing, especially at such a high level when every precaution is taken but this is the reality of high speed motorsports

He started in the back of the pack in an attempt to win a 5 million dollar bonus from Indy car if he won the race.. Now the "what if" of him starting in his "normal" spot on the grid?

Lot's of "what if's".... 2012 Car that Weldon had been testing was to be safer, better, and lots of drivers were loving it. He normally doesn't start that far back, so correct, what if he was in his normal spot. The list goes on and a very good point brought up.

I did not see it live, I have watched it about 25 times since, and made my GF sit and watch every second of the post crash footage with me. She isn't even a racing fan, but she teared up and the shear travesty that came from the incident.

It is one of those things though, anytime anyone, gets into a race suit, weather it be Indy, Nascar, ARCA, Truck, Dirt, a leather for a bike race, etc. they know what they are getting themselves into. Sad because these incidents are the outcome that is always possible.

Very sad, my dad grew up around the sport and led him to race in rally cars and he was pretty shook up by this as well.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and all the drivers.

I was watching the race live and the two hours of red flag afterward...I had a bad feeling the first time I saw the wreck. That was one of the worst car racing accidents I've seen. Wheldon wasn't the only one that took a nasty ride either though, Will Power went through the air for a long time and came down really hard too. The catch fence was the gamestopper for Wheldon. When they put the tarp over the car and hauled it off on the flatbed my gut said he didn't make it. Especially when drivers were coming out of the clinic with tears and not speaking to media.

RIP to the Wheldon family and the INDY family.

I was watching the race live and the two hours of red flag afterward...I had a bad feeling the first time I saw the wreck. That was one of the worst car racing accidents I've seen. Wheldon wasn't the only one that took a nasty ride either though, Will Power went through the air for a long time and came down really hard too. The catch fence was the gamestopper for Wheldon. When they put the tarp over the car and hauled it off on the flatbed my gut said he didn't make it. Especially when drivers were coming out of the clinic with tears and not speaking to media.

RIP to the Wheldon family and the INDY family.

The announcer said "...cockpit first."

I couldn't tell from the video, but that should mean the car was on it's side in the air with the cockpit facing the fence. Bad bad.

The announcer said "...cockpit first."

I couldn't tell from the video, but that should mean the car was on it's side in the air with the cockpit facing the fence. Bad bad.

Yeah, you are correct. The cockpit went into the fence.... Basically he was an unguided missile. So tragic.

Youtube it, but be warned it is graphic.

The Pic above with his wife and kids really puts things back into perspective.