98 intruder 800 vs 09 ninja ex250r

snot

id go 250 ninja. IP is completely right on the right foot on the brake, bike in gear, left foot on the ground.If i wanted to put both feet on the ground, I'd have to ride a lawnmower( a push mower at that). Those of you have ridden with me, have seen my short little 28 inch inseam manage my sprint st and now the fz1 just fine.

You probably have 3 or 4" of inseam on my wife, I kid you not - she and I go places together and we probably look like a bear and a rabbit on a date :D:D AND you're surely a more accustomed to riding - she only has maybe 30 hours of riding experience since the class.....she'll get better and better the more we ride

Another bike that I am able to get my feet on the ground is an fz6r, with the seat in the low seat position. Its apparently adjustable. I don't know what an fz6r goes for but they are light, nimble, and low seating positions.

We saw the FZ's and she really liked those, just the extra width of the FZ over a 250 or even her low, narrow Intruder will play a part.......friend of mine had a ZZR600 for sale earlier this year that was his girlfriends......seat shaved, bike was about as low as it could get and she still couldnt touch both feet at once......ONLY reason we didnt buy it since she was afraid of dropping it everytime we stop or when backing it up - she gets better at the whole balancing / clutching / throttling and using it all in unison, then she might be ready for a taller bike like the new FZ800......she really liked that particular model. Btw, how do you like your new FZ1?

she gets better at the whole balancing / clutching / throttling and using it all in unison, then she might be ready for a taller bike like the new FZ800......she really liked that particular model. Btw, how do you like your new FZ1?

The fz8's real tall. I sat on one the other day down at joes, and was really surprised. Thus far i love the fz1. If the weather straightens up here before the snow flys we will have to take a ride :) I know all about the backing up issue, if im on anything but a smooth parking lot, I can't back the sprint or the fz up. I have to get off and walk it backwards, So i just always make sure I park in a spot I don't have to back out of :lol:

My girlfriend has a 09 ninja lowered with roaring toys lowering kit easy to do your self handle bar spacer and lowering bones.

That the kit we're looking at too if we get this bike - even has the lower kickstand

The fz8's real tall. I sat on one the other day down at joes, and was really surprised. Thus far i love the fz1. If the weather straightens up here before the snow flys we will have to take a ride :) I know all about the backing up issue, if im on anything but a smooth parking lot, I can't back the sprint or the fz up. I have to get off and walk it backwards, So i just always make sure I park in a spot I don't have to back out of :lol:

Is the FZ800 taller in the seat then an FZ6 or FZ1? I'd figured it would've shared frame and suspension dimensions with the other 2 class bikes.

Oh yeah, if the weather breaks again hit me up and we can compare schedules - between overtime, my daughter, and 2 bands, I'm almost too busy anymore.....:(

Edited by Hellmutt

I have the solution for you. Daytona Ladystar/Mstar boots. They have a built up heel, about 1.5" and close to 1" in the toe. I have the Mstar boots and they gave me a lot more confidence with my Sprint. They are pricey, but Daytona boots can last 15-20 years, which actually makes them a pretty good buy. There is only one US distributor, Helimot in California. I bought mine direct from Germany from FC Moto, which saved me about $150. They do run one size big, so if you go with them, take that into account when ordering. I wear a 42 in pretty much every boot but these, in which I wear a 41.

Keep your eye on ebay as well since you might find a slightly used pair for much less.

The boots are very, very good quality and I'm glad I bought them.

I have the solution for you. Daytona Ladystar/Mstar boots. They have a built up heel, about 1.5" and close to 1" in the toe. I have the Mstar boots and they gave me a lot more confidence with my Sprint. They are pricey, but Daytona boots can last 15-20 years, which actually makes them a pretty good buy. There is only one US distributor, Helimot in California. I bought mine direct from Germany from FC Moto, which saved me about $150. They do run one size big, so if you go with them, take that into account when ordering. I wear a 42 in pretty much every boot but these, in which I wear a 41.

Keep your eye on ebay as well since you might find a slightly used pair for much less.

The boots are very, very good quality and I'm glad I bought them.

I will see what I can find this winter thanks for the tip!

The boots did take 5 weeks to get to me from Germany, but they only charged me a bit less than $20 for shipping. I ordered them in the late winter and then they were here by spring, just in time for riding.

I figured the boots would allow me to ride pretty much any bike I wanted and I wouldn't have to change the geometry to lower a bike.

There are a lot of reviews online for them so you can read those to get a good idea of what the boot is like. But, I will say the quality is so nice they made my previous Alpinestars boots look like garbage.

Also if you decide to order them from FC Moto you will see a charge for VAT that is like $50. US buyers don't have to pay that so it will come off when you place the order. So don't panic about that. My boots came to around $320 with the shipping, and yet Helimot wanted close to $500 for the same boots! It was worth waiting 5 weeks to get them for what I saved.

They can be resoled as well and repaired if needed. I take good care of my stuff though and after reading review after review about how you just can't kill Daytona boots, I expect they may last me the rest of my riding life.

So for your money, you get excellent, waterproof boots, and can ride pretty much any sport bike you want:)

Oh, and if you'd like to see my boots in person, just let me know. I was a bit leery spending $300 for boots I couldn't even try on or see in person, but was quite pleased with them. I am just north of Findlay so we could meet halfway or something. The Ladystar are the same boots as the Mstar, just smaller sizes. I have huge feet for some reason, lol!

BTW, guys, neither boot says anything on them except "Daytona" so if you are a short guy looking for a solution as well, it doesn't matter which one fits you. And as a large footed woman I don't have the stigma either that I'm in the men's version.

You should sit on my xj600 and see if you like it. It's pretty low, very comfy for long rides, very predictable power curve and a steal at $1300.
It's in the for sale section under "perfect beginner/commuter bike".

Not a bad deal on the Seca, definitely be a good starter ride or little commuter - but we're looking into a newer 250 since she really likes the bodywork redesign vs. the older models - bumped your sale thread while I was in there too - glws!

Under 3k miles and its pristine with the exception of a couple small scuffs - tires/chain/sprockets/brakes/bikes overall condition are all good to go - from what I'm finding $2700 isnt bad in comparison to most of equal age/mileage/condition.....bone stock, female ridden 1 owner, and its Candy Thunder Blue - exactly what she wanted in a Ninja250.

We'll more than likely counter their offer since it does need an oil change and lowering kit, so we'll see how they respond to a little lower offer.

Under 3k miles and its pristine with the exception of a couple small scuffs - tires/chain/sprockets/brakes/bikes overall condition are all good to go - from what I'm finding $2700 isnt bad in comparison to most of equal age/mileage/condition.....bone stock, female ridden 1 owner, and its Candy Thunder Blue - exactly what she wanted in a Ninja250.

We'll more than likely counter their offer since it does need an oil change and lowering kit, so we'll see how they respond to a little lower offer.

You sure it's not Candy Plasma Blue, instead? Blue is my favorite color, as anyone who has seen my bike/gear can attest to :)

yeah, anything '08 and newer usually goes for a good price... 2700 sounds good for 3K miles with just a couple scuffs.

I'm not sold on the idea of using thicker soles to resolve a height issue unless you are riding a scooter. I'm not saying it can't be effective but there are some potential drawbacks. I have a pair of riding boots that I quit wearing because they were too thick and I had to rotate, pivot my foot too much to make a gear change. For some it may not matter but on a spirited back road ride with a lot of gear changes or on a track it was quite annoying.

I did have to adjust my gear lever some, but it helps that the Sprint has lazy gearing. I've yet to bog that thing. You can be in 6th gear and get down to 2k rpm and it's still motoring along. I can see it possibly being more of a problem on the Ninja 250, which requires a lot of shifting. I suppose it will depend on how much the shift lever can be adjusted and the size of her feet. And most of the height advantage of these boots is in the heel rather than the toe.

For me it was a great solution. The Sprint is such a heavy bike compared to most sport bikes. I couldn't flat foot my Ninja 500, so by going to a bike that was 1.2 inches taller and 120lbs heavier, the boots really helped. I didn't really want to lower it, but I sure didn't want to drop it either. I love the bike otherwise.

That is the good thing with the intruder I can flat foot it with out having it lowered and with the weight of the bike it is a must. I did look at some of the boots on line I would use a 37 or 36. I did take my test and the course in a pair or redwing steel toe boots...wasn't to hard.