Enduro Helmets

sturg

• 1 month later...

I have a Fulmer Dalton Highway. It is by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever had outside my Shoei MX helmets, the down side is the shield, it gives a slightly distorted view and the vents flow enough I tape them off in the winter. The upside is, I rarely have it down unless it is freezing or raining. I liked it enough I have 2

They tend to run a bit large, I usually wear a medium, these I had to get in small

I have a Fulmer Dalton Highway. It is by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever had outside my Shoei MX helmets, the down side is the shield, it gives a slightly distorted view and the vents flow enough I tape them off in the winter. The upside is, I rarely have it down unless it is freezing or raining. I liked it enough I have 2

They tend to run a bit large, I usually wear a medium, these I had to get in small

I wanted to like my Fulmer but the distortion made me nuts.

I gave it away and use a regular dirt helmet and goggles for the more off roady stuff, and an old street helmet with scratched shield for the dual sport stuff... that way I don't beat up a good helmet / shield in the woods.

Shoie Hornet

ShoeiHornetgoogles.jpg

Smaller visor helps at higher speed but still gets buffeted in strong wind. A little warm for true summer riding but great for cooler weather. Added goggles allow for more air in tight woods or slow speeds. See my helmet set up video for the dual sport setup I like to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jea5Bhq4vsk

Edited by buildit

I wanted to like my Fulmer but the distortion made me nuts.

Hi Meef, I remember you telling me that a while back when you were selling yours. Mine does too, but I hate having any visor down so I only use it when I have too.

I used to use goggles with my Shoei but now that I am old and need glasses it's not quite so convenient so I usually wear a bifocal safety glass or my prescriptions.

Sturg, If you get one, you may want too look at the helmets that have less of a sharp bend in the shield, which is the issue with the Fulmer's distortion.

I happen to not like the rounded road helmets for only one reason, the bar is too close to my face. Years ago I had a fork snap in a BMX race over a set of jumps and I hit face first on the top of one of the jumps. The Shoei I was wearing cracked the mouth guard and the strap gave me a black and blue hangman's smilie around my neck but my face never hit the ground or the bar. I can force a round helmet back til it touches my face, I don't want one of those on my head if I were to ever crash hard again.

I was however, forced to buy a Bell Revolver flip up because being a motor ref for bicycle races, I need to be heard, not muffled, plus it makes talking into a radio much easier.

OrrvilleMilkRace14AUG11042.jpg

Edited by mgorman

The Fly is a rebadged AFX 39, and yes it has almost zero distortion. I have one and the earlier 37, and the 37 had some distortion (only really on the lowest portion of the shield). The AFX is almost always cheaper than the Fly, for some reason. No real reason to buy one unless you like the name "Fly" better than AFX.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear an Icon Variant.

Only had it a year but still like it. Big eye port, comfy, no lift from the visor.

Only complaint is that the visor doesn't lock down into position. On the highway at higher speeds, it won't stay fully closed - it opens about 1/4" and just stays there. Not a huge bitch, just irritating if it's raining, etc.