Amateur video of Simoncelli

bacchus

I would like to think that properly trained paramedics would have acted more slowly and deliberately, and not dropped him, but yeah...

I read that Marco died 45 minutes after the crash, but I am sure he was beyond repair pretty much the moment his helmet came off.

Some other forums have been attacking Marco's AVG helmet, and how the strap broke. Frankly, I have to believe the "failure" of the strap was a calculated force on AVG's part. If the strap hadn't broken, Marco's neck would have.

Sad situation all around. The guy who wrote the article was being controversial to get attention, but he's not wrong. The safety staff could and should be trained better.

I would like to think that properly trained paramedics would have acted more slowly and deliberately, and not dropped him, but yeah...

I read that Marco died 45 minutes after the crash, but I am sure he was beyond repair pretty much the moment his helmet came off.

Some other forums have been attacking Marco's AVG helmet, and how the strap broke. Frankly, I have to believe the "failure" of the strap was a calculated force on AVG's part. If the strap hadn't broken, Marco's neck would have.

Sad situation all around. The guy who wrote the article was being controversial to get attention, but he's not wrong. The safety staff could and should be trained better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the safety "volunteers" actual EMTs? I know when we rent National Trail we actually have to have EMTs there, and that's just for private events.

Why didn't they secure him in the area and dispatch a trauma doc to the scene...he shouldn't have been moved., let alone, "Hey, lets throw him on a stretcher and run across a grass field. Oops, we dropped him"

Watching the actual crash really makes me wonder if the death announcement wasn't simply because there was no Dr to pronounce him DOA?

http://youtu.be/KbRcv5yq_YE

Change to non-photo link in respect of those too close to the situation.

Edited by buildit

If you watch the MotoGP events and AMA events closely, the corner workers and track workers are NOT all EMT's or in the MotoGP event, Medical staff. Those that are specificlly wear medical staff vests with the Red Cross on them. Same with AMA races from what I have seen. They are NOT located at every corner and are not required to be from what I can tell.

Think about Mid O for a second, AMA races, I saw several bikes off in the Esses, the track workers got to the riders and that was that. No medical went out etc. When I saw the wreck in turn 1 on Sunday, I believe someone actually broke their collarbone there, there was still no medical released, just track workers.

From what I can tell, the people at the GP events are the same, when the Doctor comes out or Medical, they put a safety barrier on a green track, between them and the track, and treat on spot until able to move, unless a red flag is thrown.

Honestly, it sucks, but we can't hold these people responsible for anything. They were doing what they thought was right at that time. In the wake of an emergency like this, what would we have done? Probably something similar quite frankly.

Now, if you want to compare to some other events I attend, the dirt track races I go to and always talk about have medical officials on UTV's at every corner, and this is only a 3/8-5/8 mile oval track, 2 squads, 1 inside the infield and 1 outside, fire truck in the infield, and 1 on the outside in the paddock(not located in the infield as pits are not always either). The amount of safety officials at some events outnumber others a lot, but no matter what, I feel we can never blame officials.

Racing is a risk, personally, I wouldn't blame equipment either. Everything we use is our own choice, as is racing.

You don't handle the medical business on the track. What's the doc gonna do without equipment and staff? The racer didn't die because of this half-assed medical team. He died because he was ran over by 2 bikes doing 100 mph.

He should have certainly been evaluated before being moved. And moved in a more secure manner that would have prevented his being dropped. Hell, he wasn't even completely on the stretcher before they dropped him.

I've watched the crash more times than I would like and agree, he was in bad shape - Edwards and Rossi hit him hard. But his chances of survival were greatly diminished by his treatment.

Had a very close friend have the exact same thing happen. Many of you have heard my Putnam horror story watching him pass in front of us, but it was the exact same thing. He got his head ran over and it tore the helmet clean off of him... I won't go into details as it haunts me when I watch the videos of Sic.

I am on the fence why the hell we feel the need to post these vids as he has passed and we should honor him vs watching the train wreck unfold. We know what happened and we can all watch it on YouTube anytime we wish. But, that is my personal opinion as I see Eric every time...

In any case, he was gone as soon as his helmet was ripped off...

God Speed #58!

The video:

I'm not sure that small fall made any difference at all honestly.

Agreed. He was already gone at that point.

Per the press conference held by MotoGP, they performed CPR for 45 minutes because they were trying everything to save him. He was in full cardiac arrest when the medical staff got to him.

nothing more can be done on scene.. as with ANY incedent from gun shot to car accident, as a emt/paramedic your job is to stabilize IF possible and get them to a treatment facility, this is what i have done for years. its the job of the Medics to do all they can in the time they have from the scene to the hospital, if things take a turn for the worse med flight can be utilized IF it takes you longer to get to the hospital than it would for the helicopter. in this case Marco was taken to the ONSITE medical facilty that was (correct me if im wrong) located in the infield none the less there was only a few things that should have been changed.. 1 the head/neck should have been stabilized 2 the patient should have been strapped securely tot he stretcher before moving period/ would it have saved marco.. not likely but its these little things that are professional and for the safety of the patient if dropped and it does happen

Ok I am going to come back since I could actually watch the video now since at work I couldnt, but I could read the articles and went strictly off what I had seen on tv, and read in the article.

The staff did what I am sure they were instructed to do, and what most, if not all of us would have done. Yes, Marco was unfortunately dropped, but that was because they were rushing to move him to the awaiting ambulance. This would to me seem like something that could happen, people panic, hell about everyone does when something like this happens.

The article says they need to do more, honestly, not sure I agree with that. It is what it is, it's part of the risk, we all trust that we will receive the quickest and the best treatment possible.

Sad to see a video like that in general, but I do not feel much would have been done different.

...I know they are wearing good stuff but he had to be beyond help. 300 lb. object at 100+ mph to the back of the head....... gotta agree with papa
Colin's body language says it all. He struggled to his feet, looked toward Marco, then just stopped. He already knew:(

Watching the videos, it's really hard to imagine anyone surviving that impact at all for any amount of time.

The impact had to have broke his back and neck not to mention the trauma to the head at impact and after

having the helmet ripped off. I mentioned in the other thread that I think he died almost instantly, I'm betting

any reports otherwise are bullshit. :(

yeah comon guys dont bash the EMTs... they were doing their job the best they could. they are people too, anyone can get a little cross-footed jogging with 5 other guys holding a stretcher. a mistake is all it was and in my opinion there is no way that had ANY effect on his condition.