CCW BUG(back up gun)

crb

I sold my lcp that I used to carry as a bug, so I'm looking for recommendations for a backup. Not really looking for another .380. My main carry is a Sig 229 in 40. I'm strongly considering a revolver, I plan to carry the BUG either in my pocket or on my ankle. If I go revolver should I go .357? Is Smith & wesson worth the extra $$$$?

I had a Taurus model 85 titanium in .38 +p. Good little gun, super light weight with the titanium cylinder and barrel shroud. You can pick em up for around $450 I think. My cousin carries a Moët American arms pug in .22 mag. It's absolutely darling, lol. At the range I can't help but giggle after I shoot it, of course it weighs nothing and you could conceal it in a pack of camels if you wanted to. The .22 wmr is a pretty nasty little round too, I wouldn't wanna catch one.

Since you have a Sig, maybe a P290?

Until that horrible smelting incident, I had a Ruger LCR (wheelgun) in .357, very easy to front pocket carry.

Dale (8mmDale) has a like-new Ruger LC9 with a Crossbreed IWB in his shop for $340. Many of us have dealt with him, and I've yet to hear anything bad about the man... He's good people.

Now that you brought up the rimfire rounds I've heard the .17 hmr is a wicked round. I have a .17 hmr rifle I wonder if they make a revolver. Hmm.

My local dealer keeps trying to get me to pickup the LC9 he has in the case, but then is have to stock pile 9mm again. I sold of all of my 9mm ammo and pistols. Although if I get a 38/357 I will need to stock pile it also. I heR you on the accident all of my firearms were lost in a tragic gardening accident!

I don't think you can use .17 hmr in a revolver, its necked down and I don't think anyone has made a revolver using a necked down cartridge. On a side note, I really want one of those kel tec pmr's...30 rds of .22 mag in an ugly as sin polymer pistol....

I don't think you can use .17 hmr in a revolver, its necked down and I don't think anyone has made a revolver using a necked down cartridge. On a side note, I really want one of those kel tec pmr's...30 rds of .22 mag in an ugly as sin polymer pistol....

Taurus and ruger both make a 17 hmr revolver I just looked, but they are longer Target revolvers.

I carry the Smith 340pd as a primary. It would make a perfect bug though. It's the hammerless .357 scandium/titanium J-frame airweight, 12 ounces loaded. I put the CT laser grips on it to help with low light acquisition. After 5 minutes in the pocket you totally forget it is there. With 147 grain defense ammo it does recoil like a scorned mule, not for a person with a weak wrist.

IMG_4002.jpg

I've used one (i don't ever wear shorts) because I'm really not a fan of the jabbing my hip in the car, and to conceal better at work. But I'm not totally sure how practical it would be in a defensive situation. I'm back to IWB now

NoBama 2012

I like the ankle holster for the same reasons you outlined, and additionally, if it somehow manages to go off unexpectedly, I'm only hitting my foot, and not my thigh, knee, or calf.

But the defensive draw-backs make sense too. You can't go to grab your wallet, and pull the gun instead if the gun's on your ankle. I suppose you could drop your wallet, but that's just one more step in an already tense situation. Still better than not carrying at all, i suppose.

The ankle holster is great if you are in a car or at a desk like said. And there are ways to get to it in situations you just have to be creative. If you are being robbed accidentally drop something like your wallet and kneel down to get it. Now you are there and its available.

Firearms don't manage to go off unexpectedly unless they have been tinkered with to make them unreliable. Don't pull the trigger and if won't go off.

I agree, but a person with little to no carry experience (me) is probably the most prone to make mistakes.

lord knows the news loves it when some idiot goes to show his barber his new carry weapon, and drops it, shooting the barber.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/10/06/337871/bad-sign-for-ohios-guns-in-bars-law-ohio-barber-shot-in-butt-after-customer-drops-gun/

I WILL NOT be "that guy." A careless CCW holder sets back the cause significantly. I think I'd probably carry with the firearm empty for several weeks before ever loading it. Maybe a lot longer.

I only carry on my ankle as a BUG, in the car its super easy for me to draw from an ankle holster. My primary is always carried on my hip either IWB or OWB. I should never need a backup, but I could always hand it to the wife if she isnt carrying. She doesn't carry as frequently as I do.

I only carry on my ankle as a BUG, in the car its super easy for me to draw from an ankle holster. My primary is always carried on my hip either IWB or OWB. I should never need a backup, but I could always hand it to the wife if she isnt carrying. She doesn't carry as frequently as I do.