Gun counter at Gander Mtn... Reynoldsburg

Beegreenstrings

i would prefer to not have a mag disconnect, especially for concealed carry...if there was a struggle like the guy who got jumped at that gas station in dayton, the last thing i would want to worry about it the mag release getting hit in the struggle and the round left in the chamber being worthless

thats a feature that isnt make or break a buy for me, but it is a feature im glad my EDC doesnt have, along with a thumb safety

Which is why you carry extra mags. It was one of the must haves on mine.

Which is why you carry extra mags. It was one of the must haves on mine.

personal preference i guess - if i was in a struggle with someone that was violent enough that my gun was being manipulated in a way that the mag release might be hit - the last thing i want to worry about it trying to free up a hand to reach for a spare mag

curious though - why was it a must have for you? whats the other side of the argument? i cant think of a single reason to have it, so im curious to hear your reason behind it

i would prefer to not have a mag disconnect, especially for concealed carry...if there was a struggle like the guy who got jumped at that gas station in dayton, the last thing i would want to worry about it the mag release getting hit in the struggle and the round left in the chamber being worthless

thats a feature that isnt make or break a buy for me, but it is a feature im glad my EDC doesnt have, along with a thumb safety

I can see where it could be a good thing for a LEO to have though such as if it becomes necessary to go hand to hand with a bad guy.

Mine only has the grip safety, other than drop safety, etc...

I can see where it could be a good thing for a LEO to have though such as if it becomes necessary to go hand to hand with a bad guy.

Mine only has the grip safety, other than drop safety, etc...

explain? or are you talking about the thumb safety?

in a hand to hand situation, i would not want a mag disconnect...as i was mentioning to chevy, if something was to accidentally hit the mag release then the gun is just a paper weight...without the mag disconnect at least you still have one shot left

personal preference i guess - if i was in a struggle with someone that was violent enough that my gun was being manipulated in a way that the mag release might be hit - the last thing i want to worry about it trying to free up a hand to reach for a spare mag

curious though - why was it a must have for you? whats the other side of the argument? i cant think of a single reason to have it, so im curious to hear your reason behind it

You don't reach for a spare mag in the middle of a struggle. You clear and then re engage with a loaded firearm. The last thing I want to do is have my own firearm used against me. If it is taken and I can drop the magazine, he can't engage me with it. I can then go to a BUG or another tool. Without the disconnect, if it is taken and I can drop the mag, he still has one round that could be fired. Of course the object is weapon retention, but that is just one more tool I have at my disposal if it hits the fan.

Situation dictates, of course.

Like I had said in the other thread, sometimes when I keep it in my car, I will remove the mag and store them separately. At lest if it is stolen, it can't be used immediately.

Edited by chevysoldier

explain? or are you talking about the thumb safety?

in a hand to hand situation, i would not want a mag disconnect...as i was mentioning to chevy, if something was to accidentally hit the mag release then the gun is just a paper weight...without the mag disconnect at least you still have one shot left

Bad guy gets the gun away from you, hit the mag release as he takes it. I'd rather have a non-functioning gun if someone was to take it, then be able to grab a backup mag when he drops it after finding out that it won't work. But that would only be as a LEO. As a CCW, I would hope to have the situation over with by the time a BG was to get that close. LEO's would be a bit different.

You don't reach for a spare mag in the middle of a struggle. You clear and then re engage with a loaded firearm. The last thing I want to do is have my own firearm used against me. If it is taken and I can drop the magazine, he can't engage me with it. I can then go to a BUG or another tool. Without the disconnect, if it is taken and I can drop the mag, he still has one round that could be fired. Of course the object is weapon retention, but that is just one more tool I have at my disposal if it hits the fan.

Like I had said in the other thread, sometimes when I keep it in my car, I will remove the mag and store them separately. At lest if it is stolen, it can't be used immediately.

Yeah, the one you need to strip the weapon! :lol:

gotcha! this makes sense....like i said, i couldnt see the point of one but when you explain the reasoning behind it it makes more sense....i still chalk it up to preference though...i can see your advantage being that it cant be used against you - but at the same time you cant use it either during the struggle....guess thats whats great about firearms - theres so many options it allows someone to carry exactly what they prefer and feel safest with

Yeah, the one you need to strip the weapon! :lol:

:nono:

gotcha! this makes sense....like i said, i couldnt see the point of one but when you explain the reasoning behind it it makes more sense....i still chalk it up to preference though...i can see your advantage being that it cant be used against you - but at the same time you cant use it either during the struggle....guess thats whats great about firearms - theres so many options it allows someone to carry exactly what they prefer and feel safest with

Yeah it's all personal preference. I just don't want to be rolling around trying to secure a firearm that could shoot me.

Exactly! There's also a difference between someone using it for a CCW and a LEO that's much more likely (statistics? :lol:) to get into a situation where the mag safety would be helpful.

The only place I seem to find a gun counter associate knowledgeable is at the gun store... but every one of them is cocky, condescending and a general asshole...

I'm running into this more and more. So I now have the one guy I like to deal with phone number and I make sure he is working when I go in.

Gander prices matches any local gunshop or dealer, so I wait till something I want is on sale at Vances then I go to Gander and buy it for the same price.:D Could care less what they know behind the counter, I am there to buy what I already am knowledgeable about. But......I have witnessed exactly what the OP has experienced.:rolleyes:

I'm running into this more and more. So I now have the one guy I like to deal with phone number and I make sure he is working when I go in.

The guy at Woodburys have all been pretty cool.

No doucherz yet for me at least.

My favorite is when the gun counter guys are full of shit. I can handle pompous asses, but pure misinformation just pisses me off:

FFF... "no such thing as a Glock 30SF. SF means 'slim frame' and it's the G36SF but we don't have any"

Waldrens- Nerk... "gun Smith" couldn't field strip my 1911... need special tools (I wasn't asking him to, but he was going to show me a Wilson sight).

Gander... "Why is this XD more expensive than that one?" "That one comes with the free gear."

Gander... overheard telling a woman customer "Don't buy Glocks from Vances. They may be cheaper, but they're cheaper because they use used parts in them".

Gander... "Why did all of your prices go up $60 this past weekend?" "All guns now come with one year of free cleaning and repair warranty."

I've been addicted to guns for a while.