Simoncelli tribute Sunday 10:30am @ Iron Pony

Iron Pony

Forget the minute of silence, a minute of noise is appropriate.

This idea was hatched by a writer last week. Basic plan is 1 minute of revving your bike as a tribute to Simoncelli at 10:30 local time on Sunday Nov 6. A wave of revving engines will sweep the planet as 10:30 happens in each time zone.

At 10:30am on Sunday the 6th Iron Pony will make some noise in honor of Marco Simoncelli. Come out and join in or participate where ever you are. Twist that wrist for SuperSic!

OK, we've got a hashtag #MakeNoiseForMarcoSunday. I guess that's proof, along with thousands of blog hits overnight, that my idea of a round-the-world wave good-bye is resonating.

A blogger in Valencia, ISA (link to her site in comments below) says the time is set for 1030h. So 10:30 a.m. Sunday morning it is. Valencia is almost exactly half-way around the world from the International Date Line, so #MakeNoiseForMarcoSunday will begin in the western Pacific about 12 hours earlier and end in Hawaii about 12 hours later. The big noise in Valencia will be right in the middle of the 24-hour wave. That's perfect.

#MakeNoiseForMarcoSunday = 58 seconds of revving your bike in memory of #58, at 1030h Sunday, November 6. keep checking this blog for details.

Original post follows...

I read that the FIM proposed a minute of silence on the grid at Valencia, as a way of memorializing Marco Simoncelli. Marco's dad Paolo suggested, instead, that all the riders rev up their bikes -- that would be something Marco would have preferred.

So, here's a note from the Dept. of Modest Proposals: Let's all do that.

I propose that we find out from the FIM when, exactly, they plan to rev up the MotoGP bikes for Marco. Then I suggest that at that time on Sunday, in each time zone around the world, motorcyclists stop what they're doing, and rev up their bikes.

The effect of this will be to create a wave of revving motorcycles that will travel around the globe, beginning in the western pacific and circling the globe, back to the International Date Line, over the 24 hours of next Sunday. We'll literally wave good-bye to Marco. We can rev up our bikes for a little under a minute -- say, 58 seconds.

Even a few years ago, organizing a global farewell would have been impossible on such short notice. But in this day and age of Twitter and Facebook, it might just be possible.

I think it would be great if motorcyclists took a short video of the bike-revving, and posted it to YouTube. Then, if they post the YouTube link in the 'Comments' section of this post, I'll embed all the videos on a page devoted to "58 for 58, times 24".

If I pick up RTs and reposts of this entry over the next day or so, I'll post more detailed instructions, and contact the FIM to find out when, exactly, the Valencia moment will happen.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/oped/closing-thoughts-marco-simoncelli/

I was really hoping to be able to participate, but I was unable since the bike didn't want to start today. It was great to see all these guys get together for the same reason, plus it just sounded cool. There was a wide range of bikes , two aprilias, a HD, triumph, BMW,yamaha, Honda, kawi, Duc... Pretty much covers all the bases.

I started up 3 here in the drive way. Wife's scooter wouldn't start and that would have made 4. Kids reved up their Razor electric pocket bike. Big help there but they had fun.

Took the Ducati track bike out for a parade lap afterwords. Sorry, no Honda in the stable at this time.