Looking for a dog

Jst2fst

So I'm looking to get a dog and anyone know of any good shelters to adopt from. Looking for a lab or mediumn size dog nI look a a few will probably go Friday in to visit some here in Columbus. Also if anyone knows someone who has some pups that are looking for a home I can do that as well.

• Upvote 2

Hey caught this on facebook :) I work with all the shelters, rescuing dogs. Any paticular kind, size, color of dog? I can easily find you a great dog or puppy!

First off welcome to Ohio Riders. I'd like to get a lab but my apartment has a weight limit of 40 pounds so I don't really know what dogs fall into that category. But I'm sure I can slide by somehow on that one. Looking for a pup like 4 months at least.

I have a friend that does a lot of rescue work with bully breeds and bully mixes. Would be happy to get her in touch with you if youre interested (and don't live in an apartment)

That be nice but I do live in an apartment :(

One of my co-workers has some pups that I think are Lab/pitbull mixed. I'll ask him tomorrow what they are for sure.

Cool that's what my last lab was. Great dogs btw people just don't give them the time of day. Also I checked and don't see an exclusion list on breeds anywhere for my apartment as long as they look more lab than pit we should be in the clear.

I've got two pound/rescue dogs and also two cats from the shelter they have been great animals. I have another two semi temporary outside dogs that moved in with my SIL and nephew. I'm starting to think I have a zoo.

Kudos for looking to adopt!

ESRA rescue group. (Loving Sweet Fun Energetic Dogs... However, be warned. Springers are mostly high energy)

Franklin County animal shelter.

Cool I'm gonna look at some more sites later today and make a potential list. I've been hearing some bad reviews on them (Franklin County) from people on how they are really rude trying to adopt but I'll still give a look see.

I lived in an Apt with a Shepard/Chow mix.... For insurance and apartment reasons he was a SHEPAR mix..... And I had a 40lb wt limit too, he weighs 76lbs.... No ?s asked as long as I paid my extra 10 a month :)

Pound pups are the best for sure. I won't get anymore puppies, but rather rescue some full size ones when my current one passes.

We had to let our last foster dog go back to his previous owner. We just could not get his barking under control. Fiance lives in a apartment on the west side. The dog just could not handle the city hustle and bustle. He was a good boy too. Wasn't too awful crazy and liked to be close. But way skiddish like someone had beat him or scared him all the time.

Good luck man! Rescue dogs are the best. i have two pups at home that we got as pups. They are loving too but not like the third that is a rescue dog. She will not leave my side. Great little pup.

First off welcome to Ohio Riders. I'd like to get a lab but my apartment has a weight limit of 40 pounds so I don't really know what dogs fall into that category. But I'm sure I can slide by somehow on that one. Looking for a pup like 4 months at least.

That be nice but I do live in an apartment :(

Well Labs are about twice that limit and if you get a young animal from a shelter it may be hard to ensure they will not exceed that limit as an adult.

However Labs are the most common breed and black dogs are the hardest to place so finding a good black lab at a shelter should be easy. Plus black labs make great pets.

Good luck. I hope to be looking for one myself soon. Just need a little more work convincing the wife :)

Craig

I recently had to take our dogs a male border collie 2years, and a female husky mix 5 years to a shelter in Marion(marion dog pound) after moving to an apartment. I can provide more details if intersted. They are spade\nutered and up to date on shots and need a good home. Let me know thanks.

Make sure you do your research if you ned up finding a purebred dog. Labs produce an oil to help waterproof their coat it makes them very smelly. It would be a good idea to call up a vet and figure out how much their annual visits cost, price of front line and heart guard. If you have roommates you should make sure they are involved in the decision process and will be able to help out with the dog. Boarding can be expensive so once again do research on kennel cost if you plan on going out of town. Puppies can cause alot of collateral damage. It would behoove you to "puppy proof" your house as much as you can. Put away or hide and loose power cords, trash cans, rat posin, and anything else a dog can get into. Always be patient, pound puppies don't always have the best background and require lots of love and training.

i adopted gatsby when he was 1~1.5 yrs old, and i'm glad i adopted an "older" dog. he was already 100% house broken, had all his shots and was neutered. from what i understand, puppies typically get adopted easily, but the older ones, not so much. i think gatsby had already been bounced from another shelter because he was there too long, and was nearing the end of his welcome at the shelter he was at, so I'm glad we found him when we did.