Harley-Davidson sues Harley-Davidson

ReconRat

Have fun with it...

Large Harley dealer sues Harley Manufacturing for recent changes/regulations on sales.

The dealership figures to lose 8 million in sales.

Harley-Davidson puts brakes on dealer sales-lawsuit

The lawsuit is St. Paul Motorsports, Inc., d/b/a St. Paul Harley-Davidson, vs. Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc., d/b/a Harley-Davidson Motor Company; No 0:11-cv-03229-PJS-TNL in the United States District Court For The District Of Minnesota Third Division.

Edited by ReconRat

IIRC, the moco has contracts with places overseas and the US venders undercut them.

So let me get this straight... you put the lime in the coconut? Seriously though, an American company is upset because one of their American affiliates is undercutting a foreign distributor? *sick in my mouth* This is what needs to change in business. And I'm a supporter of business... :nono:

BTW- not attacking psyco1's quote, just referancing it :D

Why would Harley care if their products are being sold internationally or on ebay? More sales and more profits is how I see it but maybe I am missing something.

Harley works very hard on its image, its brand, and its dealer network, how much dealers make, how far apart they are compared to the market for the area. They are masters at combining all of that to make their system work.

A dealer selling online, on ebay and overseas f's up the master plan. That dealer is taking business from a dealer in another area. He could get enough to hurt the dealer...put that dealer out of business...or piss off that dealer enough to open a metric shop....but at the same time not get ALL the business in that area that the local dealer could have gotten Harley had it remained in business.

Litigious bastards, I'm not surprised, this is the company that tried to copywrite an exhaust tone. I'm gonna start selling knock-off "haley donaldson" bandanas on eBay to fill the market gap.

Might be a good way to get sued. HD does not take copyright infringement very well. They must have this thing all written up and contracted closing all loopholes. I have heard of very small business's facing HD's team of lawyers for simply selling unofficial Harley stuff.

Harley's business model is so awesome' date=' they've only been bailed out like seventeen hundred times.[/quote']

I'm sure the gonna start doing AWESOME after getting rid of that EriK guy and his blasphemous ideas of advancement in performance & technology.:wtf:

I'm sure the gonna start doing AWESOME after getting rid of that EriK guy and his blasphemous ideas of advancement in performance & technology.:wtf:

Harley Davidson could not afford Erik's ideas of advancement in performance & technology....:nono:

Harley Davidson probably paid more money out to the dealer's for warranty work on Buell's than Buell made in total sales.

They are still paying out the ass for the warranty work on Buell's.

If it wasn't for the fire sale, dealer's would still be setting on the Buell's in their showrooms, with limited to no interest.

You got figures to back up that claim? Having owned a Buell' date=' I would say it was the lightest bike I've ever owned, where maintenance is concerned. It never gave me a single fit.[/quote']

Of course I do not have the hard numbers you request, this was my own opinion, based off of personal experience.

Having been a Buell owner myself, I know for a fact Harley Davidson paid out much more for my 2009 1125R than I bought it for in warranty work, and I know several others in a similar situation that I was in...yes I know quite a few Buell owners, and Ex-Buell owners for the very reasons (opinion) I stated.

I have a laundry list of problems I had with my Buell, from off the show room floor, to the day I traded it in, and the problems and drama followed the new owner too.

Personally, I think going to the new Rotax is what broke the deal.

More or less too much for H-D to handle emotionally.

Little engines over the years were ok, for little bikes.

But something large, V-twin, and a potential competitor was too much.

Too bad, Rotax rocks in all it's various forms.

Personally, I think going to the new Rotax is what broke the deal.

More or less too much for H-D to handle emotionally.

That didn't "break the deal." H-D approved it (finally). Buell couldn't do anything without H-D's approval.

What broke the deal was new H-D leadership that reversed direction. Shutting down Buell and selling off MV Agusta, which had just been bought. "Focusing on core competencies," as the MBA types like to say, or dancing with the partner that brung ya, as others might put it: either way, focusing on the traditional H-D formula.

In the intermediate term, that appraoch, along with the recession scaring the unions into concessions, has brought H-D back to profitability. Long-term is another story, because those traditional H-D buyers are dying off in the U.S. That's why overseas sales are so important. They pick up the slack. So to get back to the original point, H-D has to protect international sales.

That didn't "break the deal." H-D approved it (finally). Buell couldn't do anything without H-D's approval.

What broke the deal was new H-D leadership that reversed direction. Shutting down Buell and selling off MV Agusta, which had just been bought. "Focusing on core competencies," as the MBA types like to say, or dancing with the partner that brung ya, as others might put it: either way, focusing on the traditional H-D formula.

In the intermediate term, that appraoch, along with the recession scaring the unions into concessions, has brought H-D back to profitability. Long-term is another story, because those traditional H-D buyers are dying off in the U.S. That's why overseas sales are so important. They pick up the slack. So to get back to the original point, H-D has to protect international sales.

Agreed. And probably just bad timing economically. But the appearance of Rotax in the H-D lineup, right when calling it quits, is still significant. Whether it's the cause or not. Just looks like they wanted to get rid of it.

Edited by ReconRat
removed run on sentence, geez...