Like to tell people what guns to buy? Come on in!

Casper

So, camping in beer country in North America isn't a great idea without a firearm. Can't take a handgun into Canada very easily (not an option for me at this point). I need a long gun. I need a short long gun, something that can easily be packed on the bike. Torn down to fit is fine with me. Will be packed most of the time, pulled out and put together only when camping in bear country (which isn't every night). It's been suggested to use a Mossburg 500 pistol grip, but even torn down it's still nearly 30". I'm looking for something smaller if possible that will still be considered a long gun. Fire away.

Shotgun with a pistol grip might not be the wisest idea to cross the border with... (I really dont know those rules and regs - just saying).

The new Henry's with the stubby (mares leg) stocks are considered a pistol in Ohio (sold two last week at the shop). I do not know what the Canucks would consider them though?

:D my buddy has a short 270 rifle he used to patrol with while he was on the boarder in texas and trust me it is short! it would iffy on 30" (I know one thing, if you did not hit the bear half of the area would be deaf from it going off) :D

Hmmm.. That is a good one?

Anyone know the rules on folding stocks for the maple leafs?

i know you can get a couple folders (side and top) that would still force a shotgun to be shouldered but would also have a pistol grip.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

Shotgun with a pistol grip might not be the wisest idea to cross the border with... (I really dont know those rules and regs - just saying).
Pistol grip is completely fine.
The new Henry's with the stubby (mares leg) stocks are considered a pistol in Ohio (sold two last week at the shop). I do not know what the Canucks would consider them though?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's classified as a pistol. It's even marketed as a lever action pistol.

Into what part of America's Hat will you be travelling?

I have a friend in Blind River, Ont., that could (maybe) loan you something. You'd need to get a "Temporary Borrowing License" if you wanted to be legal.

Rifle/shotgun barrel cannot be less than 18", and complete length of rifle/shotgun cannot be less than 26".

To transport the weapon, you'll need an "Authorization to Transport" which should be applied for "well in advance" of needing it for your adventure.

.454 Casull? Ruger makes a nice 'un.

I think common sense here is going to be your best bet. Brush up on camping do's/dont's in bear country and get you some noisemakers and bear spray.

If your dead set on a firearm, your unfortunately SOL on a pistol which a large pistol is what most guides carry in addition to a long gun.

With that being said, a pistol grip shotty using slugs is going to be your least expensive, shortest oal, and largest caliber option. (And the barrels come off shotguns very easily to break down)

Edited by flounder

This is probably about the smallest but it is only .22 only 16.5" when broke down

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

The U.S. Survival AR-7 is cool. When broken down everything fits into the stock.

So a .22 for an attacking bear huh? Thats like throwing corn flakes at a semi and expecting it to stop.

So a .22 for an attacking bear huh? Thats like throwing corn flakes at a semi and expecting it to stop.

Because noisemakers and pepper spray are better? I'd rather have an airhorn blaring while being maced than shot with a .22.

I'm going to go with tha Mossberg JIC line. (JIC= Just in Case)

They have several models. All come with either a bag or a waterproof tube that is easily attached to packs, AtVs or vstroms.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

JIC.jpg

Marinecoated version. (think stainless and salt water resistant)

MOSJICMariner.jpg

I can also tell you nobody beats Dales prices on Mossbergs.

Edited by jagr

Because noisemakers and pepper spray are better? I'd rather have an airhorn blaring while being maced than shot with a .22.

But which is more likely to drive off the bear.

Pepper spray and air horn is a bluff, a 22 is probably just annoying.

My guess is 95%+ of the encounters would be easily solved with an air horn and bear spray. Probably most with just an air horn. For the last few percent you are going to want a BIG gun.

For a country where most of it you would want to carry a gun for protection from wild life Canada sure does have restrictive gun laws.

Craig

I'm going to go with tha Mossberg JIC line. (JIC= Just in Case)

They have several models. All come with either a bag or a waterproof tube that is easily attached to packs, AtVs or vstroms.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

JIC.jpg

Marinecoated version. (think stainless and salt water resistant)

MOSJICMariner.jpg

I can also tell you nobody beats Dales prices on Mossbergs.

Actually the JIC-II may be the best model for your situation. It's a pistol grip model that breaks down and stores in its own cordura bag complete with a cable lock. Transport in this manner on a bike is prolly more agreeable to personnel manning a border. It may be no issue as I have no idea how that works.

f46aab10.jpg

Actually the JIC-II may be the best model for your situation. It's a pistol grip model that breaks down and stores in its own cordura bag complete with a cable lock. Transport in this manner on a bike is prolly more agreeable to personnel manning a border. It may be no issue as I have no idea how that works.

f46aab10.jpg

I really dig that actually.