Anyone want to help me understand MotoGP 2012

4DAIVI PAI2K5

I'm confused about the CRT for 2012. I read they are using basically a WSBK spec engine in a custom frame (Moto2). Then putting then on track with he factory MotoGP bikes. Is that correct? I checked fastest lap times for WSBK and MotoGp. They were 132.284 and 130.629 for the winners. Do you think that tyres and brakes will make up the difference and make for good racing or just get in each others way and screw up braking points, corner entries/ exits and just be a cluster fuck?

Are we certain that the lap times posted for comparison are running the same configuration of the track? I was under the impression that Moto GP pushed hard for WSBK to NOT use the same configurations explicitly so such comparisons would not exists.

regardless, temperature and other track conditions are certainly not consistent between the WSBK and Moto GP numbers.

Plus if those are 800cc moto GP times, they're somewhat worthless as a baseline for next year's 1000cc moto GP bikes.

I'm happy to see Aprilia and BMW in the ranks now, with the CRTs. Grisini's Honda powered entrance needs to be spanked, just for the sheer amount of weight they toss around with DORNA. I'm happy to see Ellison and West back in the mix, and at least Suzuki has plans to reenter the fray in 2014. Hope Randy DePuniet gets a ride too, as he consistently rode that blasphemy of a Ducati to finish well amongst the other Ducati riders. On his one off on the Suzuki during testing he place 4th fastest, on an 800, against the new generation 1000's. Bawls.

I'm happy to see Aprilia and BMW in the ranks now, with the CRTs. Grisini's Honda powered entrance needs to be spanked, just for the sheer amount of weight they toss around with DORNA. I'm happy to see Ellison and West back in the mix, and at least Suzuki has plans to reenter the fray in 2014. Hope Randy DePuniet gets a ride too, as he consistently rode that blasphemy of a Ducati to finish well amongst the other Ducati riders. On his one off on the Suzuki during testing he place 4th fastest, on an 800, against the new generation 1000's. Bawls.

I dont know about west he has been horrible lately and wasn't near the top last time in motogp.

• 1 month later...

Here's an updated grid for 2012.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/175975/1/full_motogp_2012_entry_list_revealed.html

Personally I think with a bit more development the CRT's will be able to match the old 800's. Especially with the increased amount of fuel they can carry. As for the main differences (O.P) between WSKB and CRT are the tires, brakes, and frame (possibly the electronics package as well). While the difference between the 1000 GP and CRT are the engines and fuel load.

What track were you comparing (O.P.)? If I remember right, last year saw Checa put in some times that would have qualified him on the front row at certain tracks. The carbon brakes will allow the CRT's to break later than the WSBKs and a well developed frame will also help in making them competitive.

Do I think they'll compete with the new 1000 GP bikes, no. Do I think they'll compete with the sat. 1000's, not until at least mid season, but DORNA will most likely increase the amount of fuel the CRT bikes can run allowing for better competition on the grid.

These are just my two cents, which are comming from an arm chair racer. I've also only been following road racing for the last four years. The last two years have been Mainly BSB, WSBK, and MotoGP. Better TV coverage where I've been.

My fear is that the fields will become seperated too quickly and the "Aliens" will be lapping backmarkers too quickly and speeds will be different enough to be dangerous. We'll see.

You have to be within X number of seconds on qualifying to be able to race on sunday, that won't change. They had a few last season that didn't make it due to this.

As for the lap time from WSBK to Motogp, I didn't think they ran the exact same track layouts.

As for the lap time from WSBK to Motogp, I didn't think they ran the exact same track layouts.

I'm pretty sure they do. I know at least for Silverstone they did. Off the top of my head Philip Island and Brno are the same layout as well. I still wish they were at Brands Hatch instead of Silverstone though for WSBK. Brands has much better elevation changes and watching them come down paddock hill bend sideways, hit the compression at the bottom and look like they're out of control all the way through druids is amazing.

Watching Kagyama in BSB two years ago, I thought he was gonna fly off the track there every single corner. Great stuff!

Here is a video I took of race 1 of 3 at the final round of the 2011 BSB (Hopper took third in this race) right as the riders are going into wesfield bend on the opening lap.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/gump1376/?action=view&current=MOV_0131.mp4