Which Exhaust?

Cp09r1

Ok so for my winter project I am looking to put new slip ons on my 09 r1 and am not sure which ones are the best... things im looking for is great sound, better performance, decent price. right now i am kinda torn between yosh trc-d, or a set of carbonfiber akras... any comments and advice would be nice ... im really not looking to spend more than 1200.00

thanks!

You certainly dont NEED. Will your bike run without a PC...yes. Is it good for it...no. But you'll be running really rich without one tuned correctly, which isnt the best thing for your engine in the long run. Include it as part of your budget, and youll be happier with your bike.

Shop around, there are great deals (esp used). Riders Discount (Mike and Nate) are sponsors and can hook you up phat.

You certainly dont NEED. Will your bike run without a PC...yes. Is it good for it...no. But you'll be running really rich without one tuned correctly, which isnt the best thing for your engine in the long run. Include it as part of your budget, and youll be happier with your bike.

Shop around, there are great deals (esp used). Riders Discount (Mike and Nate) are sponsors and can hook you up phat.

are pc hard to install and do i need to take it somewhere it get installed and tuned right... i believe that pc has something like an auto tune is that going to work for my situation?

I'd agree with ohdaho. Slip ons are a waste except for asthetics and sound. At least get a y-pipe that will eliminate the Cat.

Akras are the most popular for R1's, but you are looking at $2500 for a full system and no less than $1700 for slip on and y-pipe. Yoshi tend be orientated for Suzukis but no reason you can't get them. The TRC-D look pimp with the dual tips and quality is fine on them from what i've heard. Graves and M4's are nice as well as Leo Vince.

Either way, you'll be dropping some dough. That's what you get for dual undertail exhausts...price of fame and fortune.

I'd agree with ohdaho. Slip ons are a waste except for asthetics and sound. At least get a y-pipe that will eliminate the Cat.

Akras are the most popular for R1's, but you are looking at $2500 for a full system and no less than $1700 for slip on and y-pipe. Yoshi tend be orientated for Suzukis but no reason you can't get them. The TRC-D look pimp with the dual tips and quality is fine on them from what i've heard. Graves and M4's are nice as well as Leo Vince.

Either way, you'll be dropping some dough. That's what you get for dual undertail exhausts...price of fame and fortune.

yeah i have heard good things about the TRC-D and i think it might come with a y pipe for 1100.00 iron pony's web site does not give the most detail it just says 3/4 system

What these guys said......full system is soooo worth the extra $$, and its up to you on tuning it yourself or having it dyno'd/mapped by a pro - a lot of exhaust companies will have a map for your make/model/year when you buy their system, BUT if you question your mechanical skill level, take it into a shop for a proper dyno tune - its really the best way to get every ounce of performance for your money - good luck and happy shopping!

Is that possibly why my bike does not get great gas milage and likes to bog like a mofo when I'm under 4000 rpms? I think I just have a slip on but I bought the bike with it so I'm not sure what else has been done.

A tune will really help that. there is a dip in the power curve at just under 5000 that a good tune will take care of. I went through about 8 different preloaded tunes before settling on an M4 tune with my TOR exhaust that almost completely took care of it so i was happy.

• 2 weeks later...

There is absolutely no reason to get a full system on the new R1s. The 3/4 system would be the way to go if it were me. This is not true in most cases but I have held a stock R1 header in my hands along with an Akrapovic header and can find zero weight gain and with the package it needs to fit into I cannot see any gains in flow over stock. Go ahead and make the full system change if you feel it's needed but weigh both headers before you install the new one and I'm willing to bet you post back in this thread that you feel you wasted your money. I would do a full system on the Kawasaki and the Honda though. (Don't know about the Suzuki to give an opinion.)

I would at least get a set of slip-ons put on to get rid of the ass burn the stock mufflers give out.

Edited by Uncle Punk

The Toce slash cuts are beast sounding but crazy loud I would get them for my bike but too pricey for me

I was thinking about those too sound is first to me because I'm not really racing my r1 and it's got enough power as it is so I might go with the toce slip ons

well i have the same bike as you and i can offer some suggestions

cheap exhaust = a&R baffle kit (you get the sound but not looks) i bought one for $75 bucks ready to rock. (still have it if you need a cheap solution)

inexpensive exhaust = danmoto (good fit, great sound, acceptable finish)

good deal = pony has deal right now on scorpion Ti for our bike for $400 (only way to say Ti for under 700 bucks)

high end = leo or yoshi (going for around 600-700)

hands down best = akro if you want the best sound/performance bite the bullet and pull out the visa

full systems on our bikes have scavenger pipes so there is a diffrence as we dont have the extra tubes. on that note i would still stay with slip+ypipe for the 3/4 system but buy it seperate unless you find killer deal.

the bike already has Ti cans so if its not carbon or Ti dont bother because its still a downgrade if you dont stay with those matterials. IMHO

edit here is pics of most of them: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263092&highlight=09+exhaust

Edited by optimoprime

• 4 weeks later...
There are alot of great systems out there. You really cant go wrong. I have always used Akra I have a full system on my 99 i love it

yeah true but they are just so expensive maybe if i came across a lot of money (doubtful) i would for sure get the full akra