Underage concealed carry

attentiongetter92

I was talking with some people that work security for some corporation(like API but not them specifically) and he was telling me and another guy that people under 21 can get some type of exemption to be allowed to legally conceal. So I started doing some searches on the Internet and on the NRA website where it covers the laws it says "Ohio - It is unlawful to sell a handgun to a person under 21, or any firearm to a person under 18. A firearm may be furnished to a person under 18 for lawful hunting (persons 16 or over may hunt alone), instruction in firearms safety, care and handling or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult." yet also says "A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994)". The end statement "or certain other exempted purposes" matches up to what he says so I guess what I'm asking is, what are the exemptions? I'm very pro carry and with the recent bs going on at osu, I wouldn't mind feeling more protected when I'm done in that area of town(NOT actually on campus, but I spend time in that part of Columbus a lot and I sure as shit ain't gonna let someone beat my ass)

No such thing. Only chance would be to find a state where you can become a LEO before 21, move there, get job, then come visit Ohio and carry under the out of state LEO authority.

I'd actually check and double-check whether or not Ohio would honor another state's carry law for police.

I can't remember the case name, but the loose facts were that a prison guard(?) was convicted of carrying a firearm in a federal building. He assumed he would be covered under the "police personnel" exception, and was not.

I'm totally biffing on these facts... But the bottom line is, unless someone in the same situation has done it before, I would not risk it.

It may even have been a police officer (not a corrections officer) who was convicted. I want to say this was a NYC police officer, and he was in court to testify in Jersey or something.

He was an active-duty officer, but the NJ carry exception only applied to NJ officers.

Join the Army and you are exempted.

I believe Indiana permits 18 year olds to have a CHL but not Ohio.

The laws are murky with things like someone cannot sell to an 18 yo but a parent can furnish to an 18 yo. But even if an 18 yo can have a handgun, no way AFAIK for them to carry concealed.

Basically, I am confused how we allow an 18yo to join the military and die for their country but are not afforded the Constitutionally recognized right "to keep and bear arms." Our gov't is screwed up....but then you already knew that.

Ken

I'd actually check and double-check whether or not Ohio would honor another state's carry law for police.

I can't remember the case name, but the loose facts were that a prison guard(?) was convicted of carrying a firearm in a federal building. He assumed he would be covered under the "police personnel" exception, and was not.

I'm totally biffing on these facts... But the bottom line is, unless someone in the same situation has done it before, I would not risk it.

Fed Law. HR218, exempts out of state leo's from state carry laws.

Join the Army and you are exempted.

I believe Indiana permits 18 year olds to have a CHL but not Ohio.

The laws are murky with things like someone cannot sell to an 18 yo but a parent can furnish to an 18 yo. But even if an 18 yo can have a handgun, no way AFAIK for them to carry concealed.

Basically, I am confused how we allow an 18yo to join the military and die for their country but are not afforded the Constitutionally recognized right "to keep and bear arms." Our gov't is screwed up....but then you already knew that.

Ken

I got my Indiana CCW at 19, but you aren't allowed to own a handgun under 21. To carry under 21 you have to have a CCW and carry a handgun registered to someone else. All my friends that carried did it legally with their parents handguns. There was no way my parents would do that for me, and i still don't own a handgun. But, my Indiana CCW is a lifetime permit.

• 3 weeks later...
No such thing. Only chance would be to find a state where you can become a LEO before 21, move there, get job, then come visit Ohio and carry under the out of state LEO authority.

Side note: You can be a police officer in Ohio at 18 for villages or a sheriff's office. Not all will let you, but the law spells out 18 as a minimum age.

I was 19 when I started as a special sheriff's deputy, armed and sworn.

Re: CCW, under 21 not gonna happen. I would think that open carry would be acceptable, but you run the risk of encountering LE not 100% knowledgeable on the subject and I personally wouldn't risk that situation.

Edited by MeefZah

• 2 weeks later...
Side note: You can be a police officer in Ohio at 18 for villages or a sheriff's office. Not all will let you, but the law spells out 18 as a minimum age.

I was 19 when I started as a special sheriff's deputy, armed and sworn.

Any locations on what places do this at 19yo? I'm going to school for le.

Any locations on what places do this at 19yo? I'm going to school for le.

I'd shit a brick if you could land a full time cop job at 18, but if you are OPOTA certified and have a solid background and impress the right people, you absolutely can get a part time or auxiliary commission, which is a bona fide LE position, just minus the pay.

Off the top of my head, I know that the following Ohio agencies have put on guys between 18-20:

Edison PD

Crestline PD

Morrow Co SO

Crawford Co SO

Dennison PD

You would have to call or email, my suggestion would be to pull a list from USACops, OhioPD, or a similar website of every Ohio agency, get the email address, and drop them a semi-form email inquiring about age and training requirements. You send out 50, you'll get 5 responses.