getting clip-ons "just right"

RSparky

i know some of you are major ocd perfectionists, and you probably take your digital calipers to the remaining length on the tubes, or measure from a point on the triple to a point on the clamp to get the angle exactly...

I was going to, but my dam caliper battery is dead. and i don't have a vernier... But i guesstimated pretty well and double-checked with a very exact squint to measure between the millimeter lines on the tape measure. And i now have vortex clip-ons! would have gotten renthals for their fancy laser-etched measuring lines, but i'm more cheap than ocd. :D Now, I just need a couple of new right side fairings, and to pop out the dents in the exhaust and she'll be good as new! err... good as before i low-sided monday morning... :cry:

Anywho, this thread was intended to see how many of you are as anal as I? (Not butt-sex anal...)

related question:

i already didn't like the buzz in my bars, and without the bar end weights, i know it'll be that much worse.

i remember the thread mentioning hvmp heavy bar ends. do the universal ones just snug up like the little plastic caps do?

I am a perfectionist on how my bike feels to me, I don't care what the angle is or anything. If it feels more comfortable to me to have something offset from the other side then so be it. For street, I set the clip-on half way between the best feeling for full tuck and slab. I almost guarantee you this is a different length, as some one rode one of my previous bikes and thought their left arm was more outstretched (I 1-hand on slabs commonly, so the left might be set closer to full tuck). So I guess my answer is kinda? I want it to be perfect, but you can't measure comfort.

I'm in the middle between perfection and feel. I use to measure from a middle point, but now I just measure how much clipon bar is left on the inside. (1/2inch)? And once they are even, I bring the bike full lock right and with glove on test its clearance and move until comfortable but close to body/frame. Then repeat on the other side. Once that's done I center it up and do a quick measurement from a center point on my gas tank and see any difference for minor adjustments....but its usually not much. Also make sure that the levers don't hit the upper fairing stay. (Problem with 07+ 600rr)

related question:

i already didn't like the buzz in my bars, and without the bar end weights, i know it'll be that much worse.

i remember the thread mentioning hvmp heavy bar ends. do the universal ones just snug up like the little plastic caps do?

I will half to see if I can find the thread on the gixxer forum but I remember reading something about epoxy and bb's to help weight the bars themselves. Have heard good things about this method. May be worth a shot. I'll post it up when I find it.