which engine paint?

Gixxus Christ!

Shooting my superhonda 850 motor soon, was gonna use the military flat black aircraft paint we usually have at work but I guess it was for an old contract and we no longer have any. Gonna have to go commercial. It's going on the jug, head and valve cover of an air colled engine, so I figure it will experience temps in the high 2's at the worst? I don't want to pull this motor, tear it down and re-prep and paint it so who has a motor that's been rockin flat black for a few years with no issues?

Look at the VHT paints they will hold up their "flameproof coating" is rated 1300-2000 and comes in flat black

http://www.vhtpaint.com/index.jsp

Just found this one on their site made for motorcycles only in satin black though

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/blackoxidecasepaint/

Edited by conn-e-rot

I am going to be painting some engine cases this winter, what kind of prep with that vht case paint would be recomended? sand, prime, paint?

VHT sells a prep spray to help insure maximum adhesion as with any paint preparation is the key. Make sure your parts are degreased and any old loose paint removed.

I've been looking into this too and I'm leaning toward VHT Case/Jug Paint - it looks like they have several steps - stripper; adhesion promoter; primer; paint. Good to 550 degrees, which is prectically exhaust temps and you cure by running the engine - no baking. I like it.

Well my motor has never been painted and I prepped it by cleaning in a hot caustic industrial degreaser machine, then sandblasted and whiped down with acetone. Might look into the adhesion promoter and primer tho, I don't want to ever have to do this again.