Just ordered some foam to re-work my seat.

RSparky

And my brother's, of course. That's my justification at least. It's a christmas gift!

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

That site has tons of good info. Any of you guys here done it? Any other advice? I'm kinda thinking that though it'll ruin the surprise, I'm gonna have to tell him before christmas, so I can get his input on what he doesn't like.

I've done several of mine, the hardest (& most expensive part) is finding firm enough foam. My first project was a passenger pillion for my wife. I bought some "firm" foam online, shaped it with an electric kitchen knife & sanding disc on my electric drill. Turned out nice but after sitting on it a few minutes it basically collapsed. I finally bought some foam from Sargent Cycle in Florida (their closed cell "Atomic" foam. Great stuff but VERY expensive. Also, if you need to glue layers of foam together, use some contact cement (like you glue laminate to countertops). Good luck & if you find a cheap source of GOOD FIRM foam, please post.

I went to foamorder.com, it's one of the sites listed on diymotorcycleseats. got 5 12x12x1 in. pieces of rebond, 3 of one of their mediums, 3 of their medium soft. They have a lot of choices. They relate their rebond to their v90 which has an ILD of 70 lbs. and it will not bottom out. It'll be the most used for sure, but I grabbed the softer ones to help smooth out the top when we're done.

you should be using a very stiff closed cell foam for your bottom layer, then use medium density foam (either closed cell or open cell) for second layer 3rd layer or top layer should be softer open cell foam, then use a thin layer of finishing foam to smooth the top out.

some people even use a foam thats similar to wet suit material for the finish layer, its water proof stuff.

on the DIY sight they should have some stuff about how to layer, and how to bucket the seat or level it out.

as well as where to relief the seat in certain areas where pressure point are and fill them with softer foam deeper into the seat foam.

Last year before heading to Cherokee for a long weekend of riding I made a makeshift seatcover for the pillon out of vinyl, foam, and a stapler. I should have gotten a picture. But it looked clean for doing it in the back of an F250 in the dark. I have since upgraded to the Air Hawk Seat for added comfort on longer rides for my girl.

Yup yup. rebond is closed cell. I plan to raise the crotch to lessen sliding, but with a banana "u" so I can keep the middle low to straddle easy. I do want to widen it slightly, and pad up the rear for riding comfort. Depending on how much my brother uses, I'll see how much I can do.