Natural selection

TheBrown57

It all stacks up pretty quickly really,

1, long flight, no hearing protection, a little tired, ready to be home, gotta pee,

That little stuff adds up pretty quick and leads to horrible accidents like this more often then I care to hear about...

Wishing a speedy recovery to her

Sent from my iPhone using SIRI

Ok, sorry guys. As being an aircraft mechanic for the last 15 years I can tell you one of the most dangerous things in my career field is a spinning prop. Mechanics and ground personnel walk into them more often than you would imagine. The biggest problem is that when a prop is spinning they are almost invisible. Even when the engine is at idle speed they are hard to see, especially from the rear where they are painted a solid flat black color. The front of the blades are usually a light grey with white stripes towards the tips to break up the image and make them more visible but they are still not easy to see. That is why anybody properly trained always walks behind a prop aircraft when possible to get from one side to the other. It may be windy but you avoid the dangerous bits.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Update:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088730/Lauren-Scruggs-public-losing-hand-eye-propeller-accident.html

Brave Lauren, 23, is said to be doing well despite her appalling ordeal, and she looked in good spirits as she faced the camera again.

Doing better and out-n-about good to hear

article-0-0F86049D00000578-706_634x808.jpg

Was a private pilot giving rides. A concienious commercial pilot would have shut down the motor prior to letting her out. I put just as much blame on him as her if not even a little bit more. If she had no real background in flying on small planes, he had enough knowledge about the danger of people on the tarmac and running engines. That is why we yell clear prior to starting a engine. The whole thing was just plain DUMB !

Was a private pilot giving rides. A concienious commercial pilot would have shut down the motor prior to letting her out. I put just as much blame on him as her if not even a little bit more. If she had no real background in flying on small planes, he had enough knowledge about the danger of people on the tarmac and running engines. That is why we yell clear prior to starting a engine. The whole thing was just plain DUMB !

I don't need to yell clear when I start mine, of course I'm standing right next to it when I do start it thou. :)

But yes, kill the engine BEFORE you let a passenger out, grandpa always killed the engine before we got out

Sent from my iPhone using SIRI

I'll echo what vf1000ride said. It's really easy to walk into a prop, even when you know better. A prop can even hypnotize people into walking into them. They are quite dangerous and must always be treated with respect.

+1 to the danger of a spinning prop. When I worked in NY we had a guy grab a running shop fan thru the guard to move it. I was a first responder, asked why he'd stick his finger into the guard he said with the equipment running he didn't realize the fan was on. He was lucky, just nicked the tips off his fingers. Bloody mess though.