Local or cheap?

RSparky

For me, it depends on what it is. If it's an item that has to fit (clothes, helmet, shoes, etc), I buy from a brick&mortar store. If'n it's otherwise, I almost always buy online when the price, warranty, & store reputation can't be beat.

Like Simplysix said, it depends what percentage of savings that $20 is.

If it's a $50 vs $30 part, online all the way, but if it's $520 vs $500, I'd say shop local.

No matter what, give the local guy a chance to meet, or at least get close on, the price.

No matter what, give the local guy a chance to meet, or at least get close on, the price.

^^^This! A lot of local places can get closer if you ask them. I also consider price of shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using SIRI

I normally ask the local shop if they can come closer to the online price.

I have no illusions that they can sell the same product for the same price, given the costs of running a brick and mortar business, but they can and usually will negotiate with you.

Having said that, I am buying an aftermarket tank, which is $200 shipped online. Local guy will not go less than $250 on it. As much as I would rather support him, $50 is a quarter of the total cost, I simply cannot justfy buying it from him. I mean, he has to order it too, there is still a wait, and I have to go there to pick it up, so what is the benefit for me?

I know you already bought but I'll had my 2 cents. It all depends on what it is. If it's something I don't need immediately and am tight on cash, I'll buy online. If I need it now and the prices isn't astronomically different, I'll buy from the store. Stuff like clothes, gloves, shoes, etc I'll always buy in the store unless I have previous experience with the product and know it fits like I want/need.

It depends. Sometimes locally is cheaper. I've found some amazing deals at Iron Pony for gear. I wish I lived closer to it!

I also recently ordered some small parts for my bike from the closest dealer. Not only did they get them faster, but mailed them to me for no extra charge. Had I gone through bike bandit, I'd have been waiting a minimum of 2 weeks and would have paid significant shipping. And since the parts I needed were the bolts for my front axle, I didn't want to wait forever to ride my bike again (one had steel/aluminum corrosion and stripped out when I went to change my tires). These weren't bolts I could find locally either from the hardware store; wrong strength of metal and didn't fit right in the area where the bolt head went.

Sometimes though there is a deal on the internet that is just too good to pass up, and I buy online.

I shop around for what is the best deal for me.