IT LIVES!!!! superhonda 850 cam-a-lam-a ding-dong build thread

Gixxus Christ!

Some of you asked me to start a build thread with pics for my Honda motor.

First the guts:

I went with a cycle-x 850 cc 10.5:1 compression piston kit. They cast, machine and coat them in house and they are of the highest quality.

After knocking the motor apart I saw that my cam chain tensioner guts were shot, so ordered new ones.

The cam I'm going with is a .370 lift, 290 duration cycle-x cam.

Of course all new gaskets and seals, oil cooler and dyna-s ignition. Hi-temp powder coated 4-1 header with a gutted megaphone to piss off the cops.

More pics to follow

IMAG0277.jpg

All clean and sandblasted.

IMAG0287.jpg

Prepped for paint

IMAG0288.jpg

In the booth, frat brack!

More pics as it comes along.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher
  • Upvote 1

I have a 76 cb 750 i just started. working the tank right know. i have the bike almost stripped down. How hard is it to get that motor out. Is it a two man job or can one guy pull it?

You're a pretty strong guy, Nick, but the SOHC is a bit over 175lbs from what I remember...

Takes at least 2, there is a lot of adjusting here and there to get it to clear the frame. I'm gonna try laying the frame down and dropping the motor in on its side when I put her back together.

I've done a few like that. Laid engine on side and removed or installed frame. Works.

May have run into a snag. The only flat black I could find was vht flameproof header ceramic coating. We shot 2 coats, let it cure overnight. At this point you can scratch it off with your fingernail. The can says to bake at 250, let cool then 400 then cool.then.600. We cooked one of the valve inspection caps at 250 and after it.cooled it was still not adhering very good. I left work at midnight but the painter said he would. Bake it at 400 and put it in his locker. Will find out tomorrow if I will end up having to sandblaat the whole fucking project, re mask and start from scratch. Anyway this is the valve cover after I scotch brighted the paint off of the ribs and Sohc 750.

IMAG0290.jpg

I love that this stuff is blacker than black and flatter than a bitch on a big wheel. I really hope it sticks after being baked according to the directions

Didn't stick. Finally scored some military flat black poly, gonna shoot it right over this stuff and see if she works....would be a bitch to have to sandblast all that paint off, re-mask and all that. Hoping to get it all shot this week. Then I have to order some minor bits and pieces and hopefully can get her back together and test fired before it gets too cold in the garage.

• 5 weeks later...

I still have my motor in frame. I have been working other parts, getting them ready for paint. I have my tank sand blasted and split in two to repair the corrosion. I am trying to keep the cost down so I will be doing the bike in phases so I can ride it between the phases. Are you using the stock airbox???? I want my bike ready before VMD. Thanks for the advise on engine removal. To protect the piont cover and engine build a box for the motor to rest on/in when putting it back into the frame.

Nick

I want to ride

• 2 months later...

Ok. I know it's been a loooooonnnnng time but the build is moving forward. Had the cylinders, head and valve cover painted by robs recycle (great work, message for details). The vht flame proof shit I tried was a complete waste, it's designed for steel exhaust headers, not aluminum engines. Anyway, I got my parts back tonight and just got done ordering $220 worth of seals, gaskets and a race quality can chain roller and slide assembly from cycle x.. AS Soon as that order comes in I can start to put my mill back together. Pics of the paint job will follow soonish, the parts are in the trunk and I am going to bed. Thanks for being interested, I can't wait to get this build done and on the road.

• 4 months later...

Ok, been a long time and she still isn't back together....but I'm close. Need to make a set of ring compressors and I can get the jugs on. After that I need to order up some stiffer valve springs and the head can go on. Then a cam and she's done. I'm using a tool my dad made out of a vice grips like 25 yrs ago to do the springs, works like a charm. Should I lap the valves while I'm at it? Pulled one tonight and the seat is still smooth and shiny. Only issues I can find is on 3 of the valves there is wear from the tappet adjuster on the end of the stem...I'm gonna let this go to avoid shelling out the money to have the head ground and re-valved. I'll take pics during the assembly in case anyone is interested.

Lapping the valves will let you know if you actually have a reasonable seat/seal going on.

Might be worth the time spent.

The valve stem end wear... is the length of the valve still within spec?

(And valve not stretched, lol.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, was hoping to just lap the valves, install the new springs and shims and be done with the head.

Fuck no. Did one cyl. Intake seal and guide were in good shape, went to install spring and shim and either my home made spring compressor doesn't jive with the shim or it goes under the spring seat.

Moved on to the exhaust side, pulled the valve and the seal disintegrated. Check stem play and the guide is shot. Had to resort to coarse lapping compound to get the pits out of the valve.

This adds about $80 for guides and seals and some serious time media blasting all the carbon off the guides before pressing them out.

The build drags on.....