IT LIVES!!!! superhonda 850 cam-a-lam-a ding-dong build thread

Gixxus Christ!

• 2 months later...

Ok.....long time since any update. Guides were eh...within spec. Installed new seals, lapped the valves back in, figured out how the spring shims work (i think) and built the head tonight.

Now that I have a work area in the basement I can actually build the engine this winter.

The head.

IMAG0483.jpg

• 10 months later...

Ha....ok, went ahead and replaced the guides, valves and re-cut the valve seats. Didn't want to have to open this motor up ever again. Head is finally assembled for the last time. Need someone to help me get the jug on, its sorta a 2 man job.

IMAG0785.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got the cylinder on. Ended up using big hose clamps to compress the rings then put steel rods up between the connecting rods and piston skirts to keep everything straight. After that the cylinder went right on. Got the head on too after some issues, going to try and get the valve train on and timed by tomorrow and get this damn motor running before winter.

20131027_164828.jpg

Factory paint on the frame is fine, gonna hit it with some gunk engine bright and pressure wash it. Buying the brake master cylinder and vrr from the vfr 750 to update the electrics and braking along with a gl1000 front end (dual disk spoked) or if I can find them some mags from an f or ss model (also dual disk). Got a dent in the gas tank I'll need to fill and paint and going to re foam and cover the seat.

• 7 months later...

If my prior post was at all ambiguous, I asked because I think this build is awesome.

I love "sleepers."  Any vehicle that is faster than it appears it should be is a ton of fun.  Makes me want to stuff a small V8 in an old VW Beetle or something. that kind of project is on my bucket list, if I ever have "FU" money.

Get an 1127 motor, pipe, jet and filter it and put it in your kat....super sleeper. This bike was chewing up most hardly ablesons with the stock motor...now I'm just going to embarrass them....I think all told in parts and machine work I'm just under $2k on this build...a ton of money for a 42 year old bike, but I like to build things....glad you appreciate my obsession.