01 rvt for $1500 is it worth the trouble?

cOoTeR

Well the wife has made it clear that she is going to make it impossible for me to buy the bike I want that is back home in Ohio. I found a craigslist add down here for a rc51 that is a theft recovery. I was thinking about getting it and turning it into a street fighter. Do you guys think this will be too much hassle? Heres the add,

I might be selling my 2001 RVT100R/RC51. It is completely stock with 2 brand new rear and 1 front tire. That is it for the good... now the bad. My bike was stolen a few years ago and the guys that did it did a number on her.Fairings are in bad shape: left, right and rear are probably fixable, front is a loss but I still have them all. Brake and clutch master cylinder reservoirs are gone. Gas tank has some dents and minor scratches on top. Misc screws and bolts are missing that hold the fairings on. Radiator reservoir has a massive hole in it. They attempting to punch the ignition (lol) and the wires are cut. No battery or factory tool kit. Lcd has a crack in the protective cover so I think it is still good. One shock adjusting screw is ground??? away (do not ask me how or why they did this!).

He goes on about how he wants to keep it but needs money blah blah blah. I emailed the guy and asked for the price he said he thinks $1,500. I dont care about the cosmetic damages do you think the mechanical problems will be worth trying to fix if the title is legit? I think this would make a badass street fighter type rat-rod bike.

I bought a VTR1000 that had relatively light rash damage and I was into it a couple grand to get it on the road again. You'll nicken and dime your way up. Now, $1500 is a pretty good price, so you can put a couple grand into it and still be ok. How much time do you have? Might be worth it.

Pretty sure everything cosmetic is fucked up including the frame. Sounds like they highsided that bike pretty badly. How much is an engine worth on these things? $1200 or so? Not sure how much work you want to put into straightening a frame...but if its as bad as he makes it out to be, it wont matter how legit the title is bc youll have to buy a new frame.

Pretty sure everything cosmetic is fucked up including the frame. Sounds like they highsided that bike pretty badly. How much is an engine worth on these things? $1200 or so? Not sure how much work you want to put into straightening a frame...but if its as bad as he makes it out to be, it wont matter how legit the title is bc youll have to buy a new frame.

He sent me pics, I was thinking that too From the looks of it I think they just picked it up and throw it in a truck. The rearsets and exhaust are not scrapped like its been down. It seems like they were trying to rig up the wiring harness hot wire it and ripped everything off in a rush.

It doesn't sound like that much to get it to work. Get creative and wire a push button ignition in place of the key (and have a separate key switch somewhere else like under the seat that already requires the key), do the standard water bottle coolant reservoir, get new brake/clutch reservoirs for like $20, and finally get a new shock adjusting screw. That sounds very doable to me for a $1500 rvt. Lets see the pictures

If the frame and forks are straight I say do it. Can you hear it run?

If the frame even looks bent, bail.

:werd:

If the guy has an extra battery and is willing to top the coolant off then make sure it runs so you don't get screwed. Otherwise, the pics looks like a pretty standard crash except for the rearsets and clip-ons being clean.

cheese and rice that soes not look bad... The small things can be fixed. I guess I would compare it to Carwhores for 4500. His is perfect this one is not but it is only 1500. Could you make it look like his, sure. But it will be a nickel and dime job like stated. Hell I would take on that challenge but I have always wanted a RC so to me it would be worth every penny.

I know that making it look good will be a waste of money and I'd wrap more into it than its worth. My plan is just to get it running well and rideable. I'm going to try to check it out this weekend.

I know that making it look good will be a waste of money and I'd wrap more into it than its worth. My plan is just to get it running well and rideable. I'm going to try to check it out this weekend.

^ this. Streetfighter that bitch. Take your battery with you.

^ this. Streetfighter that bitch. Take your battery with you.

I dont have a battery here im currently in an academy so Im kinda limited. With the ignition being screwed up Id have to just run power to the starter right? The only bike ive hotwired was a 73 honda cb. I dont want to try and screw it all up if I do it wrong. My big worry is making sure the engine turns and isnt blown but im limited down here as to what I have on hand. Ive got a basic craftsman tool set with me.

Nope the title is all Im waiting to check out the guy said its at his moms house. I told him to call me when he got it. He said the numbers matched so as long as they do I should pick this bike up soon.