When a clutch cable snaps

Jst2fst

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a cable snap on my way to work in 2008(?)

If i knew then what I know now, I would have just called a taxi to take to buy a new cable, rather than having the bike towed. The cost of the cable, and tools to replace it would be less than the tow cost me.

Or rather, now, I would have the taxi take me to get my trailer...

I don't like clutchless down-shifts. I've done it by accident while racing (hand slipped off the clutch, and I had to get to 2nd gear, or get killed on my drive out), but don't feel like it's as smooth as up-shifting with the same method.

How often does this stuff completely fail, all at once on a braking system? A hydraulic clutch system is lower pressure than brakes, even.

I've had total clutch failure in my truck 3 times. Twice i blew the slave cylinder, once i blew the line. Never had a slow failure. Never owned a bike with a hydro clutch, but ridden plenty. They do feel a lot nicer and are easier to get used to.

Not sure what you mean about it failing all at once, a failure is where it leaks, its not going to spring 3 leaks at once. If you replaced the whole system it wouldn't be cheap i'm sure.

had the opposite experience.... super cold morning, nothing in the driveway would start with the exception of a 1970 beetle (air cooled)

My 350F is the most reliable thing I've ever owned. It'll start acting up for weeks (slight misfire) before it won't start. Quick points gap and its good to go. There is nearly nothing to go wrong on it. It's about as simple as you can get. I've worked on lawnmowers that were more advanced.

I've had total clutch failure in my truck 3 times. Twice i blew the slave cylinder, once i blew the line. Never had a slow failure. Never owned a bike with a hydro clutch, but ridden plenty. They do feel a lot nicer and are easier to get used to.

Not sure what you mean about it failing all at once, a failure is where it leaks, its not going to spring 3 leaks at once. If you replaced the whole system it wouldn't be cheap i'm sure.

By failing all at once, I mean to the point that it will not disengage when you pull the lever. They typically leak, which you SHOULD notice when you do a quick look at your bike before headed out for a ride. A cable will typically get to the point where it won't disengage quite as well for a while before it breaks. I adjusted mine several times in the months leading up to the replacement (i'm guess I had a few days left on it, if that) over this summer. It sounds like some people here have had them fail completely with little warning.

My 350F is the most reliable thing I've ever owned. It'll start acting up for weeks (slight misfire) before it won't start. Quick points gap and its good to go. There is nearly nothing to go wrong on it. It's about as simple as you can get. I've worked on lawnmowers that were more advanced.

Ninja 250, almost as simple, but no points to worry about even! The only problem I've had with it (other than wear and tear, such as the chain) is the starter clutch failed, quite possibly due to trying to teach my wife to ride. She had no idea about how a clutch works, so the starter got a LOT of use at the time.

By failing all at once, I mean to the point that it will not disengage when you pull the lever. They typically leak, which you SHOULD notice when you do a quick look at your bike before headed out for a ride. A cable will typically get to the point where it won't disengage quite as well for a while before it breaks. I adjusted mine several times in the months leading up to the replacement (i'm guess I had a few days left on it, if that) over this summer. It sounds like some people here have had them fail completely with little warning.

I've had the bolts that hold the slave cylinder work themselves loose(apparently i didn't put them on tight enough), and I could feel the release point of the clutch getting closer and closer to the grip as I rode......