speaker installation Q

natedogg624

I've finally gotten around to placing and mounting my new theatre system I got today. Sounds great, never had 7.1 before so this is definitely a new awesome experience save for one thing. wires.

my tv is wall mounted with the cords going behind the wall with some code approved device thing (name escapes me right now) and I really like the clean look. the speakers are mounted onto the wall with the wire hanging down and routed along the edge of the room.

is it as simple as drilling a hole behind the speaker, routing it down to another hole behind the baseboard and stuffing the wiring there? The floor hiding I'm not too concerned with, it's the in-wall routing that i'm lacking solutions for and any help would be appreciated.

I'm sure with enough patience you could do it with a small hole ;) by using a wire hanger or something to fish it out but it's much easier with a bigger hole. Get some wall plates and paint them to match the walls so you can make a 2" hole and attach a weight to the end.

fish tape, or "fish stick" (glow rod) cut an outlet sized hole at bottom of wall, lined up with other outlets. Install a speaker plate at said hole after fishing the wire. Go from there to your AVR with speaker wire. Makes for a much more professional install.

If you have crown molding you have another option. You can run one bunch of wires up and behind then hide them behind the crown. Then all you'll have a is a short run in the wall back down to the speakers.

This will let you have bigger holes for pulling the bundle and then it will be hidden once the crown is re-installed.