Anyone ever been to the Gap in December?

Bad324

It can be beautiful down there this time of year. Just got back about a week ago from the Franklin, NC, area and rode the Dragon along with a number of the local roads. Heading to GA is a good bet as well.

http://www.localriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16741

The mornings could be upper 20s/low 30s, but by mid-morning the temps will be into the 40s or better. If you stay out of the higher elevations--i.e., BRP and Cherhola SW--and stick to the valleys, it'll be fine. Traffic volume is way down altho there will be lots of LEOs around doing the holiday enforcement for the next week or so. Watch your speed in GA especially--they have the "super speeder" law that tacks at least an extra $200 onto the normal ticket price for 15+ over.

Be sure you do your homework on the weather situation before you blow out'a Dodge, and be prepared for the weather situation to throw a curve at you, and of course gear up appropriately.

And you also never know about the crap weather on the way back home.

I would trailer either way so its not too much an issue

Just go to Vegas

too late of notice to fly for free :(

It can be beautiful down there this time of year. Just got back about a week ago from the Franklin, NC, area and rode the Dragon along with a number of the local roads. Heading to GA is a good bet as well.

http://www.localriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16741

The mornings could be upper 20s/low 30s, but by mid-morning the temps will be into the 40s or better. If you stay out of the higher elevations--i.e., BRP and Cherhola SW--and stick to the valleys, it'll be fine. Traffic volume is way down altho there will be lots of LEOs around doing the holiday enforcement for the next week or so. Watch your speed in GA especially--they have the "super speeder" law that tacks at least an extra $200 onto the normal ticket price for 15+ over.

Be sure you do your homework on the weather situation before you blow out'a Dodge, and be prepared for the weather situation to throw a curve at you, and of course gear up appropriately.

My most important course would be to take 28 south into Georgia so I figure weather could only get better

Cherehola would be my 2nd choice since I've not done that at full speed or health but could also find other routes south if needed. I have a huge love for 28 though so that would be my #1. If I did that both days I was there I wouldn't care, thats how I awesome I think it is

I have been there in late December/early January. Cherahola wasn't passable unless you had four wheel drive, lots of snow and single lane for the most part. The rest of the area had really dirty roads. (Tree branches, gravel, leaves etc...) The road surface is cold and not enough traffic to support you if you are riding around by yourself and something goes wrong. I wouldn't go if it were me, you might be different. I wouldn't feel comfortable riding at a brisk pace in those conditions so I wouldn't put the effort in to go that far to ride in less than optimal conditions. Just stay at home and ride around if we get a day in the 40s.

I have been there in late December/early January. Cherahola wasn't passable unless you had four wheel drive, lots of snow and single lane for the most part. The rest of the area had really dirty roads. (Tree branches, gravel, leaves etc...) The road surface is cold and not enough traffic to support you if you are riding around by yourself and something goes wrong. I wouldn't go if it were me, you might be different. I wouldn't feel comfortable riding at a brisk pace in those conditions so I wouldn't put the effort in to go that far to ride in less than optimal conditions. Just stay at home and ride around if we get a day in the 40s.

That's good info I didn't think of. I'm leaning towards not going mainly because I've been having these coughing fits that make me nearly convulse and that just would not be good on 2 wheels. It's bad enough driving my truck when it happens :(