Laser + boredom =

20thGix

It is permanent. The laser basically engraves it into the metal.

soo...

i have an originally HE finished black barrel (the HE is kind of like the glock finish, the black)....i had it redone in hard chrome

if you did this, would it go through the hard chrome and expose the letters in black? just etch into the chrome? or go through both finishes to whatever is under the original black finish? ideally it would cut through the chrome and expose the original black for the lettering lol

the chrome is super thin - i didnt lose my original roll marks or the engraving done from factory

soo...

i have an originally HE finished black barrel (the HE is kind of like the glock finish, the black)....i had it redone in hard chrome

if you did this, would it go through the hard chrome and expose the letters in black? just etch into the chrome? or go through both finishes to whatever is under the original black finish? ideally it would cut through the chrome and expose the original black for the lettering lol

the chrome is super thin - i didnt lose my original roll marks or the engraving done from factory

I cant see having to lay the wood to the hard chorme to get the lettering to stand out. The lighter colored surface is just easier to see. Using the paint on mine was not planned. It was just hard to easily see with that small of lettering on a black background. The paint was just a simple solution. Sure i may have to reapply after cleaning but thats no big deal. It only takes like 20 seconds to do.

I cant see having to lay the wood to the hard chorme to get the lettering to stand out.

so, it would not go through the chrome? or it would and expose the black? lol your answer kinda confused me, not a big deal either way, i could always hit it with black paint, i want to go over my factory markings with it anyways....either way, be neat if you can start doing these for members

Edited by Steve Butters

so, it would not go through the chrome? or it would and expose the black? lol your answer kinda confused me, not a big deal either way, i could always hit it with black paint, i want to go over my factory markings with it anyways....either way, be neat if you can start doing these for members

It would not go through.

So if there is some interest getting this done i will make that fixture today. Now this may be a dumb question but would i be safe to assume that bore sizes are = to cal. 9mm = .3543, .40 cal =.400" and .45 cal. = .450"? Basically need to know the minor dia. of the bore. Major dia. being the bore plus rifling. I only own a 9mm so i cant check the others myself. I am wanting to make the barrel a slip fit for locating purposes.

Edited by 20thGix

Just an fyi. Unless you are going to have the owners onsite, I suggest you read up on BATFE regs! Depending on what you are engraving, and how you are receiving items in case someone wants to send something to you could get yourself in some trouble.

Just an fyi. Unless you are going to have the owners onsite, I suggest you read up on BATFE regs! Depending on what you are engraving, and how you are receiving items in case someone wants to send something to you could get yourself in some trouble.

Without looking up the laws i would assume that someone wouldnt mail/deliver me the whole firearm to have one piece done. I may me wrong but i would think that a specific part through the mail would be fine. If thats what your referring to. Also i cannot bring firearms into the my work so it would have to be torn down. Being im no expert gunsmth im not going to take down someone else gun anyway.