when do the lights turn on?

RSparky

so i wired up my xenons. haven't messed with fitting them in yet. i just want to make sure i can make it work first.

but, i've got the tank and airbox off, so i can't actually start the bike. but i was thinking that it automatically turns the lights on once you hit the starter switch... i'm hoping i'm wrong now, because nothing came on.

anyone know for sure? it's an 05 r6, as is stated up there by my name...

i'm also wondering if the battery doesn't have enough juice to warm up the bulbs unless it's on. i don't have a battery tender, nor a power source, so i'm guessing i'm kinda screwed, unless someone can tell me a definite answer.

shanks fellas.

All my Yamahas have had lights on after the bike turns on so you don't run down the battery. I have seen a couple different designs in service manuals on how to prop the tank up so you can start the bike in a semi-disassembled state. Some recommend a 2x4, some a bungee cord or some a separate fuel tank. I just use a water bottle upside down filled with gas; cut the top off and you can keep filling it up when necessary.

hell i don't even know which hose it gets gas from! luckily i tried to label everything when i took it apart so i'd know which doohickey went in what kalamazoo...

you can't f up the fuel hoses or wire connectors on the R6.

they can only attach to corresponding connections.

yamaha=smart. lol

the hose with the quick connect fitting is the supply hose. the one with the clamp is the return line.

the engine does have to be running before the lights come on. if you ever want to know anything about the r6 (body style like ours) shoot me a pm. I've seen and heard of just about everything one can on them.

Edited by serpentracer

awesome. you should see my shoe box lid of screws lol. since i'm prepping all the plastics for paint, and they had to give the thing 15 chunks of ABS, i've got strips of backward rolled duct tape with fasteners stuck pointing every direction, separated by sloppy handwriting labeling to the best of my knowledge what came from where.

my worry is that i'll have something left over when i'm done!

All my Yamahas have had lights on after the bike turns on so you don't run down the battery. I have seen a couple different designs in service manuals on how to prop the tank up so you can start the bike in a semi-disassembled state. Some recommend a 2x4, some a bungee cord or some a separate fuel tank. I just use a water bottle upside down filled with gas; cut the top off and you can keep filling it up when necessary.

Does the water bottle trick work with fuel injected bikes with a fuel pump? This may help me with the project im getting into.

Does the water bottle trick work with fuel injected bikes with a fuel pump? This may help me with the project im getting into.

good call. especially since the pump is in the tank. i don't see why not, i doubt it makes any considerable pressure.

:confused:

^ yup. and the pressure is high. i don't know the specs on the R6 since the service manual doesn't cover that subject. but on most cars is anywhere from 50-60psi typically.

so you'll have to keep the tank ready to go. the other problem is the fuel pump is mounted inside the tanks now. so you have to keep the tank full of gas if you just tilt it up. it draws in the fuel inside the pump housing. so it has to be submerged in it.

I guess you can always lay the pump in a bucket with fuel in it. keeping the bottom of the pump out of the fuel of course. but you are stuck with stock 3" of wires and hoses you don't want to cut up just so it will strech that far.

Edited by serpentracer

Fuel injected engines need the pressure from the fuel pump to force the fuel through the injectors. Gravity feed only works on carburated bikes that use engine.vacuum to draw the fuel through the jets via the venturi principle.

Thats what I figured. Thanks guys.