i signed up for a job fair.

RSparky

Cover letters don't matter much if you apply at a large corporation. I know our recruiters and how they handle resumes and cover letters. ;)

Not necessarily, I got the interview for the internship I am doing right now and the hiring manager actually was asking me questions about things I mentioned in my cover letter and that was at the corporate headquarters of Sherwin Williams. I do not know if everyone will look at it but at least it is there if they do.

Not necessarily, I got the interview for the internship I am doing right now and the hiring manager actually was asking me questions about things I mentioned in my cover letter and that was at the corporate headquarters of Sherwin Williams. I do not know if everyone will look at it but at least it is there if they do.

Everybody is different, some people spend 30 seconds or less looking at a resume/cover letter and other analyze everything. I have been to interviews where the interviewer surprised me and must have spent time looking at the resume, but most couldn't tell me what town which is at the top of my resume.

I've been an intern since June 2006... I wonder when my audition will be over :D

Guess I was thinking of summer interns.

We've had some that have been full-time in the summer, and then part-time during the school year.

We've hired (or attempted to) the good ones... The few bad ones don't make it past one summer.

You're at the Puzzle Palace on King, correct? My pop retired from there. Involved in some double-secret stuff during the cold war years of the late '50's and through the 60's. Does the 5th (top) floor of the main building still have mirrored glass? That's left over from the work they did on the Manhattan Project.

Edited by jblosser

My internship/co-op/apprenticeship last until 6 months after I graduate, so I have a good 2 1/2 years to find a full time spot which is awesome! Anyone near cleveland looking for IT or business internships should look at Sherwin Williams. They pay is very good for an internship.

Guess I was thinking of summer interns.

We've had some that have been full-time in the summer, and then part-time during the school year.

We've hired (or attempted to) the good ones... The few bad ones don't make it past one summer.

You're at the Puzzle Palace on King, correct? My pop retired from there. Involved in some double-secret stuff during the cold war years of the late '50's and through the 60's. Does the 5th (top) floor of the main building still have mirrored glass? That's left over from the work they did on the Manhattan Project.

:) probably. I don't make it around too many of the buildings anymore. I switched from facilities and project planning to the materials dept about a month ago. I didn't have enough time to manage full projects during the school year.

one page, no more. I would barely give it a look if it were longer, especially at your age.

No offense intended at all.

Shave, wash and comb your hair for interviews, iron your clothes, and if you have any piercings/earrings, leave them at home.

Study up on the company(ies) you get an interview with. Know what they do, their competitors.

What can you do for me? What do you bring to the table that makes you better than the 50 others that want this position?

Even if you don't get "the one" that you think you wanted, make the most of it: Be on time, work hard, do whatever is asked of you (within reason, of course), cultivate the person whose job you want when you graduate.

Even in this economy, if you are a good intern, there's a very good chance that there will be a job for you when you graduate.

So, even though it's "just an internship", treat it as though it's the best job ever.

Work hard, i guarantee it will pay off both in the short and long term.

* edit: Please have someone check your spelling and your grammar, maybe an english prof or grad student.

For any interview you're granted, a follow-up letter, hand signed, is absolutely necessary.

As jstump noted, a cover letter, hand signed, is needed, and tailor, as much as possible, your resume' and cover letter for each position.

^^^^^^word^^^^^^^

Heh, I treat internships a bit differently I guess ;) We're considering an internship program at work... I don't really plan on reading any resumes... I want to do an email first round interview case study.

Read the responses then decide who I want to meet :D

One page, no more. I would barely give it a look if it were longer, especially at your age.

No offense intended at all.

Shave, wash and comb your hair for interviews, iron your clothes, and if you have any piercings/earrings, leave them at home.

Study up on the company(ies) you get an interview with. Know what they do, their competitors.

What can you do for me? What do you bring to the table that makes you better than the 50 others that want this position?

Even if you don't get "the one" that you think you wanted, make the most of it: Be on time, work hard, do whatever is asked of you (within reason, of course), cultivate the person whose job you want when you graduate.

Even in this economy, if you are a good intern, there's a very good chance that there will be a job for you when you graduate.

So, even though it's "just an internship", treat it as though it's the best job ever.

Work hard, I guarantee it will pay off both in the short and long term.

* edit: PLEASE have someone check your spelling and your grammar, maybe an English prof or grad student.

For any interview you're granted, a follow-up letter, hand signed, is absolutely necessary.

As jstump noted, a cover letter, hand signed, is needed, and tailor, as much as possible, your resume' and cover letter for each position.

Yes...yes.....and yes.