buying plastics?

RSparky

So, I need to buy a couple plastics to continue with the painting process. The front fender has a 3 in. chunk popped out from the top. Assuming that's from where the previous owner bottomed out. The left lower has had the rear-most 10 in. chunk snapped off and riveted back on. Also from the p.o. The right side upper has a crack near the top, and a little piece right around a bolt head broke off from when I laid it down. :cry:

Both lowers have bondo-needed gashes, and the undertail needs a little from where he bottomed it out on the rear wheel... A lot. :nono:

All in all, my plastics have been abused. I'll for sure need the three mentioned above, and the best I can find on fleabay is used versions that may also need their own fix-ups for $50 or more each.

The perfectionist/lazy guy in me is seriously considering plunking down on one of the $500 fairing kits. Just buy it all and be done with it. This would be after saving up, or maybe when taxes roll around...

Someone tell me not to?

I had aftermarket on my 06 and I thought they looked and fit very good. Tons of guys on 600rr.net put them on their bikes. Some have issues but for the most part they all seem to get good reviews. I say go for it and then you have a back up pair/parts.

and the other half they are perfect?

Have you tried it? Post some pics!

I had some I tried to put on a 03 gsxr and nothing lined up, fitment was crap. This was 6 years ago and even today if you check the ratings and feed back from these "Hong Kong" plastic sellers 25% of them are unhappy.

The hong kong plastics are what you expect from getting really cheap plastics. I installed some for a friends CBR and there are some runs in the paint and some of the clearcoated stickers are poorly done. Sure they may look good from far, but as you get closer you can see the details. The plastics are really thin also...again cheap chinese products dont expect armour bodies quality.

You can make them fit, just have a dremel by your side.

The ones I had on my cbr were a pain in the ass to fit. It was a lot of work they looked pretty good when I got them on there but after a year they started chipping in the front. the paint wasn't that strong. They looked pretty slick at first but if you looked at it for awhile youd notice the imperfections which drove me nuts. I was going to switch back to the stock ones but I traded the bike in before I did it. If you plan on keeping it for a while go with stock spend the money.

I thought so. :-) thanks.

another question. Though i do intend to get sharkskinz for the main portion, I need a fender. And that's not worth $100 to me. Ive heard of delkevic for exhausts, but haven't heard anything about their bodywork. Can't really go too wrong with a fender anyway... right??? anyone have experience with it?

Edited by RSparky

eh, i can drill a couple holes.

about the fender, i might just go with the cheap ebay ones.so long as the holes are in the right place, it should hold up fine.

and before anybody says it'll be a bitch to keep clean... i know. lmao. especially when i'm not a fair weather rider. but i've got pledge, rags and microfibers. and a whole lot of loooove... :fapfap:

395647_10151141253670461_646535460_22032623_2103596289_n.jpg

Shamelessly stolen froma google search.

This is sharkskinz. And I'm doing white. It'll just have to wait a little bit... :cry:

But it's happening. :D

Exactly what I am doing when it warms up, already have the sharkskinz, just need to repaint them white.