Discrimination.......seriously?

Pokey

How can this be racially biased and discrimination, when "everybody" gets the same background check? What a pussified country we live in, makes me sick!!!!:nono: This isnt racism or discrimination, and those 2 words are misrepresented so much anymore........a true racist or bigot is a scary person, this folks doesn't meet that criteria. How is it an employers fault, that they try to simply hire the right people for a job "regardless of ethnicity" and then they are forced to hire to meet a specific criteria?:wtf: My last 2 jobs have had a criminal background check, "most" could care less as long as it wasn't specific convicted felonies. A major misdemeanor won't even keep you from getting the majority of jobs out there, and I seriously doubt that Pepsico had a policy that was out of line with practically anyone else. Alright there is my rant.......discuss!!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/pepsi-beverages-pays-3-1m-racial-bias-case-163722194.html

"he agency says such blanket policies can limit job opportunities for minorities with higher arrest and conviction rates than whites."

So the minorities have higher conviction and arrest rates, and therefore don't get hired as much. I don't see the problem here.

We know who is behind this right?

(someone had to say it

As someone who works in criminal prosecution, the system isn't "racist," but minorities are often not on a level playing field. Conviction rates show a clear racial bias.

I don't think that should be employers' problem though.

As someone who works in criminal prosecution, the system isn't "racist," but minorities are often not on a level playing field. Conviction rates show a clear racial bias.

Or do certain racial groups commit more crimes? Let's name the racial group(s) that makes music videos glorifying crime and gang violence. :rolleyes:

So minorities are convicted of more crimes. That's bias? Or reality? And employers should be condemned for this?

NoBama 2012

No......those whom are committing crimes and getting busted for it, are gonna get convicted for "doing the crime". So you care to explain this not level playing field? Is it pretty safe to say that more minorities are in the prison systems throughout the country then Caucasians, and if that is true how is that the fault of white Americans? There are plenty of minority judges, lawyers, jury's, law enforcement, corrections officers, military.....seems somewhat level to me. How many hardcore white gangs are out there these days, now lets compare the number of gangbangers out there for some minorities? The gangs are a HUGE problem in this country, they all hate eachother and its totally out of control here. The damn prisons are run by gangs "period", you either conform/join or you won't make it out alive. And as far as criminal background checks for employment, everybody gets screened. You either meet their criteria or you don't, seems pretty simple and balanced to me.

"Home > About EEOC

printer.gif mail.gifsm-plus.gif

Overview

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to discriminate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit.

Most employers with at least 15 employees are covered by EEOC laws (20 employees in age discrimination cases). Most labor unions and employment agencies are also covered.

The laws apply to all types of work situations, including hiring, firing, promotions, harassment, training, wages, and benefits."

Doesn't say anyhing about criminals.

I think part of the problem is...if I understood parts of the story correctly...is they were ruling people out if they were arrested and later acquitted of the charges. This I do think is unfair. As far as the rest go, if they have recent issues then sure the employer should have the right not to hire the person, but this policy should be clear and applied to all. Also as far as group X has more people with criminal records than group Y, Waaahhhhhaaa Group X should get on its community to stop breaking the laws.

It's not just criminal history anymore. Employers can look at your driving record, credit score, face book page, or any other factor they want. So if more whites own cars and therefore get speeding tickets then is looking at their driving record racial discrimination? Better yet, should I go after Scotts Lawn because they won't hire smokers and smoking is largely seen as a lower class addiction, so they are discriminating against minorities?

I always remember the episode of the Simpsons with the pastors wife screaming "Won't someone think of the children" when discussing drinking laws.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

While racism and descrimation do exist, I think these words are used too frequently and in some cases irresponsibly.

The worst example I can recall was the rant where Bryant Gumble referred to David Stern as a 'Plantation Owner' and the NBA players as the boys on the plantation.

I think Bryant Gumble and some NBA players could use some education on the lifestyle of those who really worked on a plantation. They weren't primadonas driving Bentleys.

I don't believe any business' date=' other than the government, should be required to hire any person they don't want to.. regardless of reason. [/quote']

this is all that should matter. Don't tell me who I can or can't hire unless you wanna bank roll my company, then I'll let you have a say. Until then they should butt the hell out

Touching on redkow's input about unequal playing fields' date=' research the crime statistics for cocaine use vs crack use. Loom at the demographics, the arrest figures and sentence lengths. Then tell me it isn't biased against minorities.

Racially charged? Maybe not, bit it certainly isn't an even deck.[/quote']

The so called unequal playing fields, is 100% the fault of the players on the field. People have a choice to do right or wrong, plain and simple. Yes I agree that racism and discrimination exists in certain forms, but agree that both words are used irresponsibly and too frequently. I still think "to a point" that an employer has the right to hire who they see fit, there is way too much delegation and rules/rights to deal with these days......total horseshit. There should be no quota whatsover to be filled in terms of employees at a business, you just hire the right person for the job.

• Upvote 1